Modern slavery is the recruitment and harbouring of humans through the use of force, abuse, deception, and coercion for exploitative purposes. It is estimated that there are more than 45 million people subject to modern slavery in the world today.
The construction sector is particularly vulnerable to modern slavery because of its extended supply chain, opaque procurement processes, skills shortage and high demand for migrant labour. This means that supply chains can conceal human rights abuses and exploitation.
The Modern Slavery Act was introduced in March 2015 to tackle slavery in the UK and in the supply chains of major UK corporations. It aims to prevent modern slavery in organisations by increasing the transparency of company practices.
Designing Buildings Wiki has a range of articles relating to modern slavery, including:
- Action programme for responsible and ethical sourcing.
- Australian ethical labour sourcing standard.
- Blockchain – feasibility and opportunity assessment.
- Building a fairer system: Tackling modern day slavery.
- CIOB and Stronger Together.
- Construction and the Modern Slavery Act.
- Ethical sourcing.
- International Ethics Standards Coalition.
- Modern Slavery Influencers’ Index.
- Modern Slavery Act and sustainable supply chains.
- Modern slavery and the supply chain.
- Modern slavery toolkit.
- Time to face up: Modern slavery in the construction industry.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Diversity, social value and skills
 Are you looking for..?
- Work Opportunities (from work experience to jobs)
- Activities & Events
- Ask a Person
- Search Organisations (careers support specific to diverse groups)
 Join in
Have you got useful material to share?
If it is relevant to the Built Environment and to diversity, skills and social value, then help people to find it by adding details to this People microsite and using the guidelines below.
 Add your own content
- For guidance about writing and adding your own content see Get started - top tips and help.
- Some articles are more popular and useful than others. This article explains more.
- Make sure you use the right title as this helps search engines find it. See here for guidance.
- Add your signature to link readers to your profile.
- Tick the 'People' box when you submit the article - that way your content will appear in this Building People microsite.
- Finding it tricky? Contact us for assistance.