- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 13 Sep 2017
A hold-open device is a mechanism that enables doors to be held open electronically.
The can be fitted to fire doors under certain circumstances. Fire doors are important in terms of providing proper fire separation, and preventing the spread of fire and smoke, but in some situations it may be inconvenient or undesirable for fire doors to be closed all the time. Closed doors can negatively impact upon the inhabitants, such as in a care home or school, or can present hazards where there is busy traffic circulation.
A hold-open device comprises:
- A trigger mechanism which processes the signals issued by the fire alarm.
- A fire alarm.
- A hold-open mechanism – typically a door closer with electro-magnetic hold-open.
- A power supply.
Fire risk assessment and guidance restricts the use of hold-open devices to applications where there is an automatic fire detection and warning system which incorporates smoke detectors, and which is designed to protect the building’s escape routes. The door must close in the event of:
- Activation of a smoke detector.
- Manual activation of a fire alarm.
- Any failure of the alarm system.
- Any electrical power failure.
A manual release push-button must also be provided so that the doors can be manually closed if necessary. It should typically be coloured red, with ‘Close door’ visibly displayed, and positioned in the immediate vicinity of the door, i.e. not concealed when the door is in the hold-open position.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Automatic fire detection and alarm systems, an introductory guide to components and systems BR 510.
- Automatic release mechanism.
- Door closer.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire Door Inspection Scheme.
- Fire safety design.
- Fire stopping.
- Free-swing door closer.
- Installing fire doors and doorsets (GG 86).
- Means of escape.
- Self-closing device.
Featured articles and news
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.