Automatic release mechanism
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
A device which will allow a door held open by it to close automatically in the event of each or any one of the following:
- detection of smoke by automatic apparatus suitable in nature, quality and location;
- operation of a hand-operated switch fitted in a suitable position;
- failure of electricity supply to the device, apparatus or switch;
- operation of the fire alarm system if any.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Door energy rating.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire Door Inspection Scheme.
- Fire Prevention on Construction Sites.
- Fire protection engineering.
- Inner room.
- Joint fire code.
- Separating floor.
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Visual alarm devices - their effectiveness in warning of fire.
Featured articles and news
A visually dramatic means of story-telling, large-scale murals can be an effective way to engage communities.
There were over 1,400 new articles added to Designing Buildings Wiki in 2016. Here are the top 15 most popular.
MVRDV reveal designs for a strange holiday villa in Taiwan.
New milestone achieved with launch of new safety lanyard for working from height.
A quick introductory article about preliminaries in construction.
Brandenburg Gate - an historic structure that went from symbolising German partition to European unity.
A discussion between construction key players and leading insurers on the future outlook for construction insurance.
New guide from BSRIA on building performance evaluation in domestic buildings.
Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners complete new trio of towers at Sydney Harbour.
With a new government consultation underway, ICE look at creating a smarter, more flexible energy system.
British Antarctic Survey announces research station is to relocate 23km due to growing crack in the ice shelf.