- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Sep 2017
Automatic release mechanism
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
A device which will allow a door held open by it to close automatically in the event of each or any one of the following:
- detection of smoke by automatic apparatus suitable in nature, quality and location;
- operation of a hand-operated switch fitted in a suitable position;
- failure of electricity supply to the device, apparatus or switch;
- operation of the fire alarm system if any.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Door closer.
- Door energy rating.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire Door Inspection Scheme.
- Fire Prevention on Construction Sites.
- Fire protection engineering.
- Hold-open device.
- Inner room.
- Joint fire code.
- Separating floor.
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Visual alarm devices - their effectiveness in warning of fire.
Featured articles and news
Bringing in an expert.
Why the lowest price isn't sustainable.
The Most Economically Advantageous Tender.
Pipe dream or possibility?
The New Rules of Measurement.
Prioritising Sustainable Development Goals on projects.
The Architects Registration Board.
How BSRIA monitored the performance of new homes.
How to research a building when there are no primary sources.
A re-thatching project has supported a critically endangered skill.
What inspired the Metabolist movement in architecture?
A radical transformation of three agricultural barns.