- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Sep 2017
Automatic release mechanism
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
A device which will allow a door held open by it to close automatically in the event of each or any one of the following:
- detection of smoke by automatic apparatus suitable in nature, quality and location;
- operation of a hand-operated switch fitted in a suitable position;
- failure of electricity supply to the device, apparatus or switch;
- operation of the fire alarm system if any.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Door closer.
- Door energy rating.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire Door Inspection Scheme.
- Fire Prevention on Construction Sites.
- Fire protection engineering.
- Hold-open device.
- Inner room.
- Joint fire code.
- Separating floor.
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Visual alarm devices - their effectiveness in warning of fire.
Featured articles and news
A new theory for managing large complex projects.
A new guide to fire safety and security in the selection of doorsets.
Review of the long-awaited discourse on these beautifully produced, colourful wallpapers.
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.