- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Sep 2017
Automatic release mechanism
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
A device which will allow a door held open by it to close automatically in the event of each or any one of the following:
- detection of smoke by automatic apparatus suitable in nature, quality and location;
- operation of a hand-operated switch fitted in a suitable position;
- failure of electricity supply to the device, apparatus or switch;
- operation of the fire alarm system if any.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Door closer.
- Door energy rating.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire Door Inspection Scheme.
- Fire Prevention on Construction Sites.
- Fire protection engineering.
- Hold-open device.
- Inner room.
- Joint fire code.
- Separating floor.
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Visual alarm devices - their effectiveness in warning of fire.
Featured articles and news
Timo Hartmann of TU Berlin introduces a themed issue of the ICE Smart Infrastructure and Construction journal.
Freedom of Information request reveals that taxpayers are footing the bill for Carillion's collapse.
Driven piles are used to support buildings, walls and bridges, and can be the most cost-effective deep foundation solution.
Australian landmark celebrates achievement of carbon neutral status five years ahead of schedule.
Non-material amendments can sometimes be necessary after planning permission has been granted. Find out more here.
Six things civil engineers could do to ensure the success of projects.
Dublin housing crisis restricts employers' ability to recruit, according to new U+I research.
Intricate inlays and beautiful patterns can be created with waterjet cutting.
Two historic quarries in environmentally sensitive areas were reopened to repair Exeter Cathedral.
The phrase ‘time at large’ describes the situation where there is no date for completion, or it has become invalid.