Last edited 11 Nov 2020

Separating floor

The term ‘separating floor’ is generally used to describe a floor designed to restrict the passage of sound between the spaces above and below. It is most commonly used in relation to residential buildings. In this context, a ‘separating wall’ is one that separates adjoining residential rooms or properties.

Construction clients may have particular acoustic requirements that should be recorded in the project brief, however, the legal requirement for building construction to resist the passage of sound is set out in part E of the building regulations, which describes requirements for:

The requirements of part E of the building regulations can be satisfied by following the guidance in Approved Document E: Resistance to the passage of sound.

Whilst not exhaustive, approved document E describes types of separating floor as:

Three ceiling types are also described:

Critical to the success of each construction, is the detailing of junctions between the floor and other elements such as walls and floor penetrations. Common junction details are illustrated in the approved document, as are performance standards and pre-completion testing requirements.

For more information see Approved Document E.

NB walls and floors may also be elements of a building that are required to provide fire separation.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again