Last edited 05 Apr 2018


According to Housing and sound insulation, Improving existing attached dwellings and designing for conversions, prepared by the Scottish Building Standards Agency, Historic Scotland and Communities Scotland, and published in 2006, the term 'dwang' (or nogging) refers to:

Struts, normally timber based, fixed between joists or studs to increase stiffness and strength properties.

Solid timber dwangs were commonly used in Scotland to brace floors or to stiffen timber stud frames.

[edit] Find out more

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

[edit] External references