- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Dec 2018
Health, wellbeing and productivity: An integrated approach to providing quality indoor environments
People living in developed countries spend typically 90% or more of their time indoors and more susceptible individuals, such as the elderly, infants and those with pre-existing medical conditions, may spend almost all of their time indoors.
Poor housing conditions have been demonstrated to have adverse effects on occupants’ health and wellbeing with associated large-scale health costs. In the education and health care sectors, the quality of the indoor environment has been shown to affect the educational performance of students and the recovery rates of patients, respectively. In commercial environments, typically up to 90% of the operational costs to an organisation are associated with the staff, with the remaining 10% covering building rental and energy expenditure. The provision of good quality indoor environments in buildings is, therefore, essential for the health, comfort, wellbeing and also the productivity of the occupants.
Major building owners and specifiers are now increasingly demanding highperformance office buildings, recognising that those with high quality indoor environments can command higher rental incomes from improving staff health, wellbeing and productivity. However, though the benefits of healthier buildings are increasingly being recognised in this sector, there is still a general lack of understanding and knowledge of the issues involved and hence little guidance on how to achieve such healthy buildings across the whole of the built environment.
On Thursday 28th February 2019, BRE will be running ‘Health, Wellbeing and Productivity: An Integrated Approach to Providing Quality Indoor Environments’ – a conference which will concentrate on ways of providing and maintaining quality indoor environments in both domestic and non-domestic buildings.
It will focus primarily on the key factors – such as air quality, ventilation, lighting, and environmental noise – that must be considered in an integrated manner in order to provide good quality indoor environments. Leading speakers from BRE, industry and regulatory authorities will provide the latest information along with their views and experiences, and case study examples.
For further details of the speaker line-up and to book your place visit https://bregroup.com/hwpconference entering discount code EB20HWP at check-out for an early bird discount (only available until 21 December).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Assessing health and wellbeing in buildings.
- BRE Buzz articles.
- BRE wellbeing research paper competition.
- Building related illness.
- Building use studies (BUS).
- Human comfort in buildings.
- Indoor air quality.
- Indoor environmental quality.
- Light pollution.
- Sick building syndrome.
- TG10 2016 At a glance, wellbeing.
- The full cost of poor housing.
- Thermal comfort and wellbeing.
- Wellbeing and creativity in workplace design - case studies.
- WELL and BREEAM align.
- WELL Building Standard.
- What we know about wellbeing.
Featured articles and news
What should be evaluated to assess building performance?
BIM standards BS 1192:2007+A2:2016 and PAS 1192-2:2013 have been superceded.
What is biophilic design and how can it increase wellbeing?
80 experts come up with the top 7 mistakes the industry makes with BREEAM.
Compliance cannot be verified by inspection on delivery.
Some electric cars have batteries that give a range of over 350 miles.
Assembling, curating, caring for, and designing the future.
A sensitive approach to renovating a building of historic stature.
UK energy policy uncertainty as Welsh project put on hold
What collaborative working achieves and how it can be put in place.
BSRIA publishes the 2019 edition of its small but concise annual databook.
Using QSAND to measure the performance of disaster response.
What U-values are, why they matter and how they are calculated.