- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 08 Aug 2017
Global overview analysis of fire and security
In August 2016, BSRIA published a Global Overview Analysis of Fire and Security.
The study forms part of BSRIA’s regular multi-client report programme. The Global Overview Analysis studies represent an overview of the essential metrics and characteristics of specific markets. This report explores the latest developments and trends in the market for building Fire Detection and Electronic Security Systems products, value added services and service and maintenance.
It sets out the market size in 2015, two years’ history and forecasts until 2020 for total product, value added, installed systems, service and maintenance and total business for 10 separate countries.
The report revealed that the global fire detection and electronic security systems market has continued to grow robustly. For the UK, fire has been growing at almost 5% per annum, and security is forecast to grow between 2.5-3% per annum. Demand in the fire market continues to favour the sale of multi-sensor detectors in order to reduce false alarms.
Terrorism has become a stronger driver of the security systems market and led to wider acceptance of surveillance, however, CCTV cameras have experienced major price erosion. The intruder alarm market focuses on reducing false alarms. Integration is up: combining access control with HVAC. Lighting solutions and smart phones are starting to appear as a human-centric security solution. Cloud-based, security-as-a-service offerings are also developing.
This report provides insights into:
- Market size, segmentation and forecasts to 2020.
- Supplier product market shares.
- Product sales to eight verticals by building type.
- Market size for fire detectors, call points, addressable and non-addressable panels, annunciators / mimics, audio / visual indicators, in / output modules and network supervisory equipment.
- Access control systems: readers, controllers, communication elements, software, door entry / phone systems and standalone/mechatronic access control products.
- CCTV / video surveillance systems: detectors, analogue and IP cameras and housings, DVR, NVR, software and encoders, as well as other related equipment.
- Intruder alarm systems: detectors, control panels, audio-visual equipment and keypads.
- Market background and drivers in each country.
- Value-add, service and maintenance and total business markets and forecasts to 2020.
Jeremy Towler, Senior Manager – Energy and Smart Technologies, BSRIA Worldwide Market Intelligence, said, “The aims of this report were to acquire an overview of the essential metrics and characteristics of the market by size, segmentation, trends, drivers, forecasts, distribution channels. Worth some US$ 97 billion, this lucrative market will continue to attract new entrants, with innovative technologies and novel business models that can disrupt traditional business.”
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Access control.
- Automatic fire detection and alarm systems, an introductory guide to components and systems BR 510
- BSRIA articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Commercial security systems.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Domestic ventilation systems performance.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire safety design.
- Global Bathroom Market (2015).
- Global building energy management systems market.
- Global pressures and the future of building technologies.
- Global study of challenges and opportunities in the BACS market.
- SABRE Security Assurance by the Building Research Establishment.
Featured articles and news
A balance between character and climate.
Bamboo pavilion built at London South Bank Uni.
Bringing in an expert.
Why the lowest price isn't sustainable.
The Most Economically Advantageous Tender.
Pipe dream or possibility?
The New Rules of Measurement.
Prioritising Sustainable Development Goals on projects.
The Architects Registration Board.