- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 20 Apr 2021
Commercial building automation market
The commercial building automation systems market is undergoing a rapid transformation after years of moderate growth. Increasing investment, government initiatives encouraging green buildings and the rising uptake of LED technology mean growth is likely to continue.
- Based on products, the market is categorised as; markets for HVAC, building management systems, security and access control systems, energy management systems, and lighting management systems.
- By application, residential, office, retail, and healthcare are the major markets.
- Based on the communication protocol, the markets are for; LonWorks, BACnet, KNX, Metasys N2, Modbus, oBIX, and C-Bus
- On a regional basis, the market is spread across North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and the Rest of the World.
Growth has been generated by advances in security-related solutions and energy efficiency, as well as the revival of the construction industry since the economic crisis of 2008-09. The increase in capital funding and the uptake of advanced technologies such as sensing, embedded computing, and communications is expected to trigger additional development of this market.
The U.S., France, India and China are the leading regional markets in North America, Europe, and Asia, respectively. Among the various product types in the market, the market for security and access control systems dominates.
The market for commercial building automation systems is a concentrated industry and is dominated by a few major players, including; Johnson Controls, Siemens, Schneider Electric, and Honeywell. Other prominent players of this market are Cisco systems Inc., ABB Ltd., Royal Philips Electronics N.V., Daintree Networks Inc., Robert Bosch GmbH, and United Technologies Corp.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BACS building automation controls - the information revolution.
- Building analytics market trends.
- Building Automation and Control System BACS.
- Building energy efficiency - is building automation the answer?
- Building energy management systems BEMS.
- Building management systems.
- Building services.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Energy management and building controls.
- European BACS Market 2019 - 2024.
- February 2021 HVAC&R trends and the impact of COVID.
- Global BACS market resilience.
- Global building energy management systems market.
- Global study of challenges and opportunities in the BACS market.
- Internet of things.
- Smart buildings.
- Smart technology.
- Wireless vs wired building energy management system.
Featured articles and news
Institute applauds funding initiatives but presses for additional retrofit and tax measures.
The switch from analogue to digital has begun.
The fourth industrial revolution is well underway.
Free online resource will offer guidance on conserving places and the planet during COP26.
Government allocates additional money for building new homes on derelict land.
Smart built environments can be designed around the requirements of real people.
Consistency is at the core of realistic strategies.
Entries being accepted until 20 November 2021.
Fuller’s legacy in the field of resource management.