Commercial building automation market
The commercial building automation systems market is undergoing a rapid transformation after years of moderate growth. Increasing investment, government initiatives encouraging green buildings and the rising uptake of LED technology mean growth is likely to continue.
The global commercial building automation market can be considered in terms of; products, applications, communication protocols, and the regional markets.
- Based on products, the market is categorised as; markets for HVAC, building management systems, security and access control systems, energy management systems, and lighting management systems.
- By application, residential, office, retail, and healthcare are the major markets.
- Based on the communication protocol, the markets are for; LonWorks, BACnet, KNX, Metasys N2, Modbus, oBIX, and C-Bus
- On a regional basis, the market is spread across North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and the Rest of the World.
Growth has been generated by advances in security-related solutions and energy efficiency, as well as the revival of the construction industry since the economic crisis of 2008-09. The increase in capital funding and the uptake of advanced technologies such as sensing, embedded computing, and communications is expected to trigger additional development of this market.
The U.S., France, India and China are the leading regional markets in North America, Europe, and Asia, respectively. Among the various product types in the market, the market for security and access control systems dominates.
Although the market is reporting impressive growth, the lack of a skilled workforce and high installation costs are expected to constrain growth.
The market for commercial building automation systems is a concentrated industry and is dominated by a few major players, including; Johnson Controls, Siemens, Schneider Electric, and Honeywell. Other prominent players of this market are Cisco systems Inc., ABB Ltd., Royal Philips Electronics N.V., Daintree Networks Inc., Robert Bosch GmbH, and United Technologies Corp.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building Automation and Control System BACS.
- Building energy management systems BEMS.
- Building management systems.
- Building services.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Energy management and building controls.
- Global building energy management systems market.
- Global study of challenges and opportunities in the BACS market.
- Internet of things.
- Smart buildings.
- Smart technology.
- Wireless vs wired building energy management system.
Featured articles and news
Have a look at our article explaining the different types of construction contractor.
Futurist Thomas Frey explores the concept of Disposable Housing - could it be a reality sooner than we imagine?
ICE to host new exhibition offering a window onto the civil engineering achievements beneath our feet.
Do you know all the various types of defects in brickwork?
US museum reveals plans for an installation made entirely of paper tubes.
Review of a book looking at how contemporary architecture found its expression within neoliberal capitalism.
The Great Mosque of Djenne, the largest mud-brick building in the world.
Amanda Clack, RICS President offers recommendations to government on Brexit and the construction skills shortage.
Tired of the commute? This architecture firm believes the best solution is to take cars underground.
Why do so many women leave engineering? Probably not for the reason you’re thinking.
For over 30 years David Trench was one of the UK's leading project managers. Read about his career through some of his most famous projects.
Leading institutes join forces calling for property flood resilience measures to help householders avoid repeat flooding.