- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 24 May 2022
|The World Trade Center Transportation Hub in Lower Manhattan replaces the PATH train station that was destroyed in the 9/11 attacks. Designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava to resemble a dove taking flight, the structure is formed by softly-curving, white, steel ribs that rise from the ground to form an elliptical dome over a vast concourse. The project has not been without its criticism, both for the long delays in delivery, and the design which some likened to the carcass of a turkey.|
Carcassing refers to the main shell, frame or skeletal structure of a building. It may or may not be the overall structural or load-bearing element of a building as it also refers to individual elements rather than only to the whole.
It is included in section G of the common arrangement of work sections classification (CAWS) along with structural elements as Structural / Carcassing Metal (G1) and Structural / Carcassing timber (G2) with subsections covering various different elements in metal;
- G10 Structural steel framing
- G11 Structural aluminium framing
- G12 Isolated structural metal members
- G13 LSF Light Steel Frame
and in timber
- G20 Carpentry/Timber framing/First fixing
- G21 Load-bearing timber blockwork
- G22 CLTP Cross Laminated timber panel system
- G23 Post and Beam frame
- G24 Laminated timber frames
- G25 LTF Light Timber Frame
- G26 SIPS Structural Insulated Panel Systems
- G27 ISPS insulated structural panel system
- G28 Dowelled/Nailed stacked wood panel systems
- G3 Metal/ Timber decking
- G30 Metal profiled sheet decking
- G31 Prefabricated timber unit decking
- G32 Edge supported/Reinforced woodwool slab decking
Featured articles and news
The last few days, but action needed over the next decade.
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
Promoting the importance of building and fire safety.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
From practice to research and the business of materials.