- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 Nov 2017
Automatic fire sprinkler systems: A good practice guide
BRE is an independent, research-based consultancy, testing and training organisation, operating in the built environment and associated industries. Its activities include; consultancy, research and innovation, testing, certification, approvals, training, events and accreditation.
Automatic fire sprinkler systems: A good practice guide was published by BRE on 10 June 2009. It was written by C Williams.
Sprinkler systems distribute water to sprinklers which spray water into spaces, providing active fire protection. They are a well-established technology and have demonstrated their reliability and effectiveness in protecting life and property. Traditionally they have mainly been used in commercial and industrial properties, but they are now available for a wide range of applications, including domestic buildings.
They are designed and installed:
- To meet building control or other statutory requirements.
- To meet insurers’ requirements.
- To meet the risk management requirements of a business or property.
It covers a range of issues related to automatic sprinkler systems, including; UK standards, design, installation and maintenance of existing and novel products. Appendices provide statistics about the incidence of real fires and the role of sprinklers in controlling them.
The contents of the guide include:
- 1 Introduction.
- 2 Background.
- 3 What is an automatic sprinkler system?
- 4 Benefits of automatic sprinkler systems.
- 5 Standards.
- 6 Stages in the lifecycle of automatic sprinkler systems.
- 7 Limitations of automatic sprinkler systems.
- 8 Potential problems with automatic sprinkler systems.
- 9 How to avoid potential problems with automatic sprinkler systems.
- 10 Conclusions and recommendations.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Access control.
- Approved document Q.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Case study A for offices to show where automatic sprinklers have the greatest impact.
- Costs of water automatic sprinkler systems.
- Design benefits of automatic sprinkler systems granted under approved document B.
- Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system.
- Fire in buildings.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Overview of automatic sprinkler system design and operation.
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management
- Sprinkler systems explained: A guide to sprinkler installation standards and rules.
- The cost efficiency of different combinations of fire protection measures.
- The impact of automatic sprinklers on building design.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
Featured articles and news
Widening access to hidden architectural treasures.
A material with exciting potential.
ECA-partnered survey shows the clear benefits.
Hire for potential, not competence.
A single knowledge hub for global infrastructure.
Compliance in construction.
The growth of the smart homes market.
Giving professional advice to friends.
Towards a radical eclecticism.
Showing the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
Soft Landings for refurbishment projects.