- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Oct 2020
Automatic fire sprinkler
The Loss Prevention Certification Board (LPCB part of BRE Global) sets the standards needed to ensure that fire and security products and services perform effectively. LPCB’s Loss Prevention Standards (LPS) are applied in fire and security sectors around the world.
LPS 1036 - 2.2 Quality schedule for the certification of automatic fire sprinklers, published by BRE Global in 2014, defines an automatic fire sprinkler as: ‘A device sealing an aperture in a pipe of a sprinkler installation that discharges water automatically in a predetermined pattern over a specified area when it operates at a predetermined temperature.’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Automatic fire sprinkler systems: A good practice guide.
- Automatic sprinkler system design and operation.
- Business Sprinkler Alliance.
- Case study A for offices to show where automatic sprinklers have the greatest impact.
- Costs of water automatic sprinkler systems.
- Design benefits of automatic sprinkler systems granted under approved document B.
- Leading built environment bodies call for sprinklers in all schools.
- Making the case for sprinklers and dispelling myths.
- Overview of automatic sprinkler system design and operation.
- Sprinkler systems explained: A guide to sprinkler installation standards and rules.
- The cost efficiency of different combinations of fire protection measures.
- The impact of automatic sprinklers on building design.
- Watermist systems for fire protection in domestic and residential buildings DG 534.
Featured articles and news
Proper materials and maintenance can help reduce rust.
Is the construction sector responding to calls for ED&I?
Engineers pay tribute by sharing their memories.
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.