- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Nov 2020
Approved Document J
- What qualifies as 'building work' and so fall under the control of the regulations.
- What types of buildings are exempt.
- The notification procedures that must be followed when starting, carrying out, and completing building work.
- Requirements for specific aspects of building design and construction.
The 'approved documents' provide guidance for how the building regulations can be satisfied in common building situations. There is no obligation to adopt the solutions presented in the approved documents, the building regulations can be satisfied in other ways.
Approved Document J: combustion appliances and fuel storage systems, was last published in 2015.
It covers the construction, installation and use of boilers, chimneys, flues, hearths and fuel storage installations. It also requirements for the control of fire sources and for the prevention of burning, pollution, carbon monoxide poisoning, and so on.
The contents of the Approved Document includes:
- Section 1: Provisions which apply generally to combustion installations.
- Section 2: Additional provisions for appliances burning solid fuel (including solid biofuel) with a rated output up to 50 kW.
- Section 3: Additional provisions for gas burning appliances.
- Section 4: Additional provisions for oil burning appliances.
- Section 5: Provisions for liquid fuel storage and supply.
- Appendix A: Checklist for checking and testing of hearths, fireplaces, flues and chimneys.
- Appendix B: Opening areas of large or unusual fireplaces.
- Appendix C: Example calculation of the ventilation requirements of a gas fired appliance.
- Appendix D: Example calculation of the ventilation requirements of an oil fired appliance.
- Appendix E: Methods of checking compliance with requirement J2.
- Appendix F: Assessing air permeability of older dwellings in relation to permanent ventilation requirements.
- Appendix G: European chimney designations.
- Appendix H: Addresses.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
A review of the HES pilot project.
Organisation alerts membership to findings of IHBC research.
Four outstanding professionals recognised.
Sustainable flooring from super strong grass.
Organisation presents reactions from industry leaders.
New infrastructure bank to be based in the North of England.
Fairer, faster, greener. A summary of the key points.
Strategies to help provide safer working conditions.
Protecting flora, fauna and the other natural features of Scotland.
Architecture considered somewhere between 'sublime and beautiful'.
Polish piano factory revived through an energy-oriented tune up.
Dynamic architectural approach sets out to restore and improve the environment.
Entries accepted from 1 December 2020 to 14 April 2021.