- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 15 Jan 2021
Approved Document J
- What qualifies as 'building work' and so fall under the control of the regulations.
- What types of buildings are exempt.
- The notification procedures that must be followed when starting, carrying out, and completing building work.
- Requirements for specific aspects of building design and construction.
The 'approved documents' provide guidance for how the building regulations can be satisfied in common building situations. There is no obligation to adopt the solutions presented in the approved documents, the building regulations can be satisfied in other ways.
Approved Document J: combustion appliances and fuel storage systems, was last published in 2015.
It covers the construction, installation and use of boilers, chimneys, flues, hearths and fuel storage installations. It also requirements for the control of fire sources and for the prevention of burning, pollution, carbon monoxide poisoning, and so on.
The contents of the Approved Document includes:
- Section 1: Provisions which apply generally to combustion installations.
- Section 2: Additional provisions for appliances burning solid fuel (including solid biofuel) with a rated output up to 50 kW.
- Section 3: Additional provisions for gas burning appliances.
- Section 4: Additional provisions for oil burning appliances.
- Section 5: Provisions for liquid fuel storage and supply.
- Appendix A: Checklist for checking and testing of hearths, fireplaces, flues and chimneys.
- Appendix B: Opening areas of large or unusual fireplaces.
- Appendix C: Example calculation of the ventilation requirements of a gas fired appliance.
- Appendix D: Example calculation of the ventilation requirements of an oil fired appliance.
- Appendix E: Methods of checking compliance with requirement J2.
- Appendix F: Assessing air permeability of older dwellings in relation to permanent ventilation requirements.
- Appendix G: European chimney designations.
- Appendix H: Addresses.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.
Institute applauds funding initiatives but presses for additional retrofit and tax measures.