- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 27 Nov 2019
The term 'smart' is typically applied to an 'intelligent' web-connected electronic device or system which may operate stand-alone or in a network with other devices. It usually involves some form of user interaction.
New technology is enabling the creation of smart homes, integrating devices to make the home a better place to be in terms of safety, comfort, productivity and well-being. Smart thermostats note, for example, each time the dial is turned up or down, to build a detailed schedule based on the user’s preferences.
BSRIA (Building Services Research and Information Association) defines smart homes as those operating, ‘…a building control system, which provides integrated, centralised control of two or more individual systems’. Effectively this is the residential extension of commercial type controls.
Individual systems can be any of the following:
- Environmental control system (heating ventilation and air conditioning - HVAC).
- Household appliances (clothes dryers, washing machines, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, ovens, coffee-makers, microwaves, etc.)
- Consumer electronics (TV, radio, audio-video equipment, game consoles, etc.)
- Building components (blinds, curtains, windows, doors, etc.).
Devices may be connected through a wired or wireless network to allow control via a personal computer, and may allow remote access via the internet using a PC, smartphone or tablet.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Active system.
- Building management systems.
- Consumer electronics.
- Engineering Smart Cities.
- European connected and smart home market.
- Information and communications technology.
- Internet of things.
- Making a house a home.
- PAS 180:2014 Smart cities – Vocabulary.
- PAS 181:2014 Smart city Framework. Guide to establishing strategies for smart.
- PAS 182 Smart city data concept model.
- Smart buildings.
- Smart cities design timeframe.
- Smart cities.
- Smart city.
- Smart home and light commercial market in 2017.
- Smart technology.
- The global smart homes market.
- The smart buildings market.
Featured articles and news
The real impact of late payment.
How to tell which infrastructure projects will work.
The government announces the biggest change in building safety for a generation.
Key messages from the UN COP 25 conference.
Reducing the risks of buying off-plan
A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet. Book review.
Telling the story of the Government Code and Cipher School.
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.
The growth of megacities.
The restoration of Big Ben.