- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 16 Sep 2020
Public building definition
The Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG) consultation document, Display Energy Certificates: current regime and how it could be streamlined and improved, published in 2015, points out that EU countries define ‘public buildings’ in a number of different ways:
- The Czech Republic, defines public as; all buildings that are not apartments or are non-residential.
- Finland; those buildings which provide public services.
- France; a building that is occupied by a governmental body.
This means for example that a school used only as a school, is not a public building because it is not daily attended by people who are neither staff nor pupils. However, a school that is also used daily for community functions is a public building.
- Is listed in schedule 1 of the Act, (government departments, legislative bodies, the armed forces, and so on), or
- Is designated by the Secretary of State under section 5 of the Act, (because they appear to be carrying out functions of a public nature or are contracted to provide a service which is a function of a public authority) or
- A publicly-owned company as defined by section 6 (such as a company wholly owned by the Crown).
but a building is not to be treated as a place of public resort because it is, or it contains, a shop, storehouse or warehouse, or is a dwelling to which members of the public are occasionally admitted.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Composition of UK construction industry 2013.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Display Energy Certificates: current regime and how it could be streamlined and improved
- Government departments responsibility for construction.
- Local authority.
- Local planning authority.
- Planning authority.
- Public authority.
- Public sector.
- Types of building.
- Unitary authority.
Featured articles and news
Her development as a thinker and writer. Book review.
Smart motorway strategies.
Actuate UK urges change of deadline to at least December 2022.
Study shows harmful impact of late payments on SME personnel.
Upcoming changes to the commercial supply and purchase of chemicals.
CLC introduces card for learners.
CIOB members recognised for public procurement.
Experts discuss the complex issues damaging the supply chain.
The co-founder of Get Kids into Survey discusses career paths for kids.
Report examines lack of detail in the Government's vision.
Look up construction terms on any website direct from your browser.
The revival of the public sphere in Toronto.
The story behind the copycat architecture craze.
Insight into construction materials supply and demand issues.