Last edited 26 Jul 2019

Government departments responsibility for construction

This article sets out the responsibilities of central government departments for different aspects of the construction industry.


[edit] HM Treasury

Cabinet office:

Infrastructure and Projects Authority (formerly Infrastructure UK):

[edit] Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

[edit] Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG)

(Until January 2018, MHCLG was known as the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG))

[edit] Home office

[edit] Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)

[edit] Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)

[edit] Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)

Formerly the Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC) and the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS)

[edit] Local Authorities

[edit] Devolution

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki


I need information about the goverments position on CSCS cards concerning me as a 65 year old who has fitted suspended ceilings for 35 years but has to pay £800.00 to a assesor to confirm I can do the job.

The goverment set the system up and in due course set up the CITB I need an NVQ2 to prove to building companies like Kier and Morgan sindall that paperwork wise I can fit ceilings and partitions.

Please find a way to get me Grandfathers rights to these NVQs so I can carry on working as I cannot pay £3200 for the 4 NVQS I require

Presumably this refers to the scrapping of the Construction Related Occupation card, as required by the Construction Leadership Council. This change will affect 230,000 card holders. There is some guidance on the CSCS website, but this may not help you.