Government departments responsibility for construction
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
 Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- BIM Task Group.
- Construction Sector Unit.
- Green Construction Board.
- Technology Strategy Board (TSB), a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
- Construction 2025 (jointly with industry).
 HM Treasury
- Efficiency and Reform Group (ERG).
- Major Projects Authority (MPA).
- Government Construction Strategy.
- Government Construction Board.
 Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE), a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
- Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM).
 Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG)
- Building regulations.
- Planning permission.
- Planning policy.
- Homes and Communities Agency, a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
- Fire and Rescue Service.
- Architecture (transferred from DCMS in April 2015)
 Home office
- Special licences.
 Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- Environment Agency (EA), a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
- Natural England, a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
 Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- Historic England, a non-departmental public body (NDPB).
 Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC)
- Energy saving and climate change policy.
- Following devolution in the UK, responsibility for many aspects of construction industry policy, oversight and regulation have been passed to the authorities in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. See UK for more information. This includes building regulations and planning policy.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
What is Modernism?
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.
Designing Buildings Wiki has reviewed a well-designed and researched set of architecture city maps.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the second annual Building Live conference, tackling the challenges facing construction.