- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 31 May 2018
Office of Government Property
The Office of Government Property (OGP) is a government body that helps manage public sector land and property more efficiently and effectively. It is responsible for helping deliver public services, encouraging public service job creation outside London, and for unlocking surplus land for housing.
Formerly the Government Property Unit (GPU), it was established in 2010 as part of the Cabinet Office. In 2014, the coalition government published an Estates Strategy which set the intention of creating ‘an efficient, fit-for-purpose and sustainable estate whose performance matches the best of the private sector’ by 2020. The main aims of the strategy include maximising efficient use of existing land and buildings and disposing of surplus assets in a way that achieves best value for money.
The OGP is made up of the following divisions and programmes:
- One Public Estate (OPE): Provides support and funding to councils to deliver property-focused programmes.
- Asset Efficiency and Land for Housing: Works with government departments to manage and release property and land.
- Places for Growth: Focused on the movement and creation of jobs outside London.
- Government Property Agency (GPA): Provides property asset management services across central government’s estate.
- Government Property Profession (GPP): Improves the capabilities of those working in the government’s property profession.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Construction industry organisation structure.
- Efficiency and Reform Group.
- Government Construction Board.
- Government departments responsibility for construction.
- Government Property Agency.
- National planning policy framework NPPF.
- UK construction industry.
Featured articles and news
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Interfacing with facilities management.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.
Whilst apparently confusing, German conservation is actually not that different.
The rise and fall of council housing. Book review.
Drivers of change in global heating markets.
11 interesting facts about the use and nature of the material.