- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Oct 2018
Professional home based window cleaning services
Cleaning windows and removing hard water stains or spots requires the proper glass restoration products. This article lists some reputable places where you can order hard water stain removal products and gives you some general information about how to remove hard water spots.
The first thing you will need is a quality hard water stain remover. Not Limeaway or CLR. These products simply do not work. My favorite Hard water Stain Remover is Bio-Clean. You will need either a white scrub pad (not green) and or a cloth towel or rag to apply the solution. The idea here is to not scratch the glass while you are removing the hard water stain.
Next make sure you have a window washing wand or sponge and a squeegee to clean the glass. In order to clean the window correctly use a bucket and apply a quick squirt of Dawn dishwash detergent into approximately 2-3 gallons of water. When you start to clean the hard water stains dip your wand into the cleaning solution and apply it to the glass where the water spots are.
The next step is to apply the stain remover to your rag or scrubber (an amount the size of a fifty pence piece is enough at first). Apply this to the glass rubbing in a circular fashion until it starts to feel more smooth to the touch. The next step is to apply the soap and water solution again to the window. After the window is soaped up, use your squeegee to remove soap and water. It may take a couple of attempts to completely remove the stain. Just repeat the process until the hard water stain is completely removed.
You can get the basic supplies from a hardware store such as Home Depot or Lowes. Here is a list of a few basic items you will want to make your job go more smoothly and faster for the best results.
- Squeegee: Usually a 6-12 inch is best for home windows and an 18-22 inch is best for commercial and storefront washing. Buy a couple of different sizes to be safe.
- Wand: You can purchase a wand at a hardware store. Get a size comparable with your squeegee. This will make soaping up your glass and cleaning screens much faster.
- Towels: The best towels to use to dry edges of your windows are called 'huck towels' or 'surgical towels'. They are 100% cotton, absorbent, and lint free. You can order them at your local supply store. If you cannot find this type of towel, a regular tightly woven cotton rag will do just fine but have a few on hand so you can always be using a window washing towel which is dry.
- Window washing bucket: This is any container or bucket that is 2-5 gallons.
- Step ladder: Can be found at any hardware store depending on the size needed. For a 1-storey home and most storefront jobs a 6 ft step ladder will be enough. These are generally used on homes to assist in cleaning the outside windows which tend to be a little higher on the exterior, also used for cleaning over the door entry way windows.
- Screwdriver: Just have a flat head screwdriver and sometimes a Phillips head handy to remove screens and dig any excess material out of the corners of window tracks and frames.
 Professional window cleaners
Finding a professional window cleaner to wash your windows at home or at the office is a simple task. You will get a list of local businesses just by typing in your city or town name and then adding 'window cleaning service'.
Don't hesitate to ask your neighbours either. You will be surprised just how many people use services and word of mouth is always the best reference.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Some HPL cladding is very unlikely to adequately resist the spread of fire.
What a chartered architectural technologist does.
Building design and construction fees.
The world heritage list has evolved to embrace built, cultural and natural heritage.
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.