- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 13 Mar 2018
- Swimming pools.
- Sauna cabins.
- Tennis courts.
- Containers used for domestic heating oil or petroleum gas.
- The keeping of poultry, bees, pets, birds or other livestock for the domestic needs or personal enjoyment of the occupants of the dwellinghouse.
- They are not forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
- They are single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5 m and maximum overall height of 4 m with a dual pitched roof or 3 m for any other roof.
- They have a maximum height of 2.5 m in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
- They do not have verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
- No more than half the area of land around the original dwellinghouse would be covered.
On designated land (National Parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites), outbuildings will generally require planning permission. And where they are within the curtilage of listed buildings, outbuildings will require planning permission.
If the floor area of an outbuilding is between 15 sq. m and 30 sq. m, Building Regulations approval will not normally be required if it does not contain any sleeping accommodation and it is either at least 1 m from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building regulations.
- How to build a garage.
- Outbuildings security.
- Permitted development.
- Planning permission.
- Types of building.
 External references
Featured articles and news
How are bids evaluated?
Ensuring products contribute to personal safety.
Is there light at the end of the tunnel?
A new theory for managing large complex projects.
A new guide to fire safety and security in the selection of doorsets.
Review of the long-awaited discourse on these beautifully produced, colourful wallpapers.
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.