- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Nov 2018
Manual of contract documents for highway works
The Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCHW) contains the documents that are required for the preparation of contracts for trunk road works. The documents are contained in several parts and include details about how they should be used, the specification for the highway works and the corresponding method measurements.
There are six separate volumes that make up the manual:
- Volume 0 – Introduction to the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works.
- Volume 1 – Specification for Highway Works.
- Volume 2 – Notes for Guidance on the Specification for Highway Works.
- Volume 3 – Highway Construction Details.
- Volume 4 – Bills of Quantities for Highway Works.
- Volume 5 – Contract Documents for Specialist Activities.
- Volume 6 – Departmental Standards and Advice Notes on Contract Documentation and Site Supervision.
This volume contains the model contract documents that are required for Highway works and includes instructions for tendering and typical contract documents for preparing contracts for trunk road construction, improvement, and maintenance in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Section 0 – Introduction of Manual System.
- Section 1 – Model Contract Document for Highway Works.
- Section 2 – Implementing Standards.
- Section 3 – Advice Notes.
 Volume 1 – Specification for Highway Works
This volume sets out the requirements and approvals process for goods, work or materials used in the construction, improvement or maintenance of trunk roads. The volume has 28 series and seven appendices for different types of works and specifications.
 Volume 2 – Notes for Guidance on the Specifications for Highway Works
- Section 1 – Carriageway and Other Details.
- Section 2 – Not used.
- Section 3 – National Motorway Communication System Installation Drawings.
 Volume 4 – Bills of Quantities for Highway Works
- Section 1 – Method of Measurement for Highway Works.
- Section 2 – Notes for Guidance on the Method of Measurement for Highway Works.
- Section 3 – Library of Standard Item Descriptions for Highway Works.
 Volume 5 – Contract Documents for Specialist Activities
- Section 1 – Geodetic Survey.
- Section 2 – Not used.
- Section 3 – Ground Investigation.
- Section 4-6 – Not used.
- Section 7 – Mechanical and Electrical Installations in Road tunnels, Movable bridges and Bridge Access Gantries.
- Section 8 – Trenchless Installation of Highway Drainage and Service Ducts.
- Section 9 – Model Contract Documents for CCTV Survey of Highway Drainage Systems.
 Volume 6 – Departmental Standards and Advice Notes on Contract Documentation and Site Supervision
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Code of Practice for Ironwork Systems Installation and Refurbishment.
- Construction contract.
- Contract documents.
- Deleterious materials.
- Highway authority.
- Highways England.
- Highways in England and Wales.
- Section 38 agreement - adoption of highways.
- Section 50 agreement.
- Section 278 agreement - works to existing highways.
 External references
Featured articles and news
The structural feasibility of modular high-rise buildings.
BRE conference on ways of providing and maintaining quality indoor environments.
CDBB publish foundational definitions and values to guide the development of the National Digital Twin.
Despite the reduction in staffing, most users remain satisfied with the service.
We run through the top 37 styles in history - but how many would you recognise?
Improving approaches to risk in the built environment sector.
Megatrends: Smart Building Technology
Share your BREEAM knowledge to help improve the industry.
Are you innovating without realising it?
Is timber a carbon source rather than a carbon sink?