- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Jan 2021
Manual of contract documents for highway works
The Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCHW) contains the documents that are required for the preparation of contracts for trunk road works. The documents are contained in several parts and include details about how they should be used, the specification for the highway works and the corresponding method measurements.
There are six separate volumes that make up the manual:
- Volume 0 – Introduction to the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works.
- Volume 1 – Specification for Highway Works.
- Volume 2 – Notes for Guidance on the Specification for Highway Works.
- Volume 3 – Highway Construction Details.
- Volume 4 – Bills of Quantities for Highway Works.
- Volume 5 – Contract Documents for Specialist Activities.
- Volume 6 – Departmental Standards and Advice Notes on Contract Documentation and Site Supervision.
This volume contains the model contract documents that are required for Highway works and includes instructions for tendering and typical contract documents for preparing contracts for trunk road construction, improvement, and maintenance in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Section 0 – Introduction of Manual System.
- Section 1 – Model Contract Document for Highway Works.
- Section 2 – Implementing Standards.
- Section 3 – Advice Notes.
 Volume 1 – Specification for Highway Works
This volume sets out the requirements and approvals process for goods, work or materials used in the construction, improvement or maintenance of trunk roads. The volume has 28 series and seven appendices for different types of works and specifications.
 Volume 2 – Notes for Guidance on the Specifications for Highway Works
- Section 1 – Carriageway and Other Details.
- Section 2 – Not used.
- Section 3 – National Motorway Communication System Installation Drawings.
 Volume 4 – Bills of Quantities for Highway Works
- Section 1 – Method of Measurement for Highway Works.
- Section 2 – Notes for Guidance on the Method of Measurement for Highway Works.
- Section 3 – Library of Standard Item Descriptions for Highway Works.
 Volume 5 – Contract Documents for Specialist Activities
- Section 1 – Geodetic Survey.
- Section 2 – Not used.
- Section 3 – Ground Investigation.
- Section 4-6 – Not used.
- Section 7 – Mechanical and Electrical Installations in Road tunnels, Movable bridges and Bridge Access Gantries.
- Section 8 – Trenchless Installation of Highway Drainage and Service Ducts.
- Section 9 – Model Contract Documents for CCTV Survey of Highway Drainage Systems.
 Volume 6 – Departmental Standards and Advice Notes on Contract Documentation and Site Supervision
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Code of Practice for Ironwork Systems Installation and Refurbishment.
- Construction contract.
- Contract documents.
- Deleterious materials.
- Design and Check Certificates.
- Highway authority.
- Highways England.
- Highways in England and Wales.
- Section 38 agreement - adoption of highways.
- Section 50 agreement.
- Section 278 agreement - works to existing highways.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.