- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 05 Jan 2021
Manual of contract documents for highway works
The Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCHW) contains the documents that are required for the preparation of contracts for trunk road works. The documents are contained in several parts and include details about how they should be used, the specification for the highway works and the corresponding method measurements.
There are six separate volumes that make up the manual:
- Volume 0 – Introduction to the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works.
- Volume 1 – Specification for Highway Works.
- Volume 2 – Notes for Guidance on the Specification for Highway Works.
- Volume 3 – Highway Construction Details.
- Volume 4 – Bills of Quantities for Highway Works.
- Volume 5 – Contract Documents for Specialist Activities.
- Volume 6 – Departmental Standards and Advice Notes on Contract Documentation and Site Supervision.
This volume contains the model contract documents that are required for Highway works and includes instructions for tendering and typical contract documents for preparing contracts for trunk road construction, improvement, and maintenance in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Section 0 – Introduction of Manual System.
- Section 1 – Model Contract Document for Highway Works.
- Section 2 – Implementing Standards.
- Section 3 – Advice Notes.
 Volume 1 – Specification for Highway Works
This volume sets out the requirements and approvals process for goods, work or materials used in the construction, improvement or maintenance of trunk roads. The volume has 28 series and seven appendices for different types of works and specifications.
 Volume 2 – Notes for Guidance on the Specifications for Highway Works
- Section 1 – Carriageway and Other Details.
- Section 2 – Not used.
- Section 3 – National Motorway Communication System Installation Drawings.
 Volume 4 – Bills of Quantities for Highway Works
- Section 1 – Method of Measurement for Highway Works.
- Section 2 – Notes for Guidance on the Method of Measurement for Highway Works.
- Section 3 – Library of Standard Item Descriptions for Highway Works.
 Volume 5 – Contract Documents for Specialist Activities
- Section 1 – Geodetic Survey.
- Section 2 – Not used.
- Section 3 – Ground Investigation.
- Section 4-6 – Not used.
- Section 7 – Mechanical and Electrical Installations in Road tunnels, Movable bridges and Bridge Access Gantries.
- Section 8 – Trenchless Installation of Highway Drainage and Service Ducts.
- Section 9 – Model Contract Documents for CCTV Survey of Highway Drainage Systems.
 Volume 6 – Departmental Standards and Advice Notes on Contract Documentation and Site Supervision
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Code of Practice for Ironwork Systems Installation and Refurbishment.
- Construction contract.
- Contract documents.
- Deleterious materials.
- Design and Check Certificates.
- Highway authority.
- Highways England.
- Highways in England and Wales.
- Section 38 agreement - adoption of highways.
- Section 50 agreement.
- Section 278 agreement - works to existing highways.
 External references
Featured articles and news
One of England's grandest country houses.
Take just two minutes to provide your feedback.
An update of standards and regulations are under consideration.
Exploring the key to the adoption of this abundant energy source.
His clients have ranged from Liberace to St Nick to world-class athletes.
These tactical structures can be permanent or temporary.
Organisation recognises milestones of the project's next phase.
Welding and metalworking businesses must manage respiratory risks.
New report explores how regulations are being put into action.
The golden thread and BS 8644-1.
Bitumen binder may delay road surface deterioration.
A varied portfolio of internationally recognised buildings.
Threatened by housing and expanding universities.
Getting "boots on the ground" to make things happen.