Liverpool Cargo Building case study
The Cargo Building in Liverpool, part of the residential portfolio managed by Federated Hermes, has become the world’s first residential asset to achieve the BREEAM In-Use (BIU) Residential certification.
Located just a few minutes’ walk from Albert Dock and Liverpool ONE, The Cargo Building comprises 324 apartments, making it Liverpool’s first Build to Rent (BtR) scheme and largest Private Rented Sector (PRS) development.
The Cargo Building was awarded the accolade after undergoing a rigorous evaluation process to benchmark and assess its sustainability performance across a selection of key areas, including energy efficiency, health and wellbeing and resilience. The project recorded an impressive overall Part 1 rating of 70.8%, scoring particularly well in the categories of resilience, transport and energy.
Working with environmental consultants GWP Project Services, who were appointed BRE assessors and auditors for the project, enabled Federated Hermes to identify improvement opportunities in line with assessment criteria.
 Additional certifications
Securing BREEAM In-Use Residential certification demonstrates the commitment Federated Hermes has already shown across its non-domestic portfolio, with BIU assessments already undertaken across more than 30 assets, including Centre:MK and One City Place, a mixed-use development in Chester that achieved a rating of ‘excellent’.
As the go-to non-domestic standard for real estate owners, managers and investors, Version 6 brings the release of a version specifically created to recognise and drive high standards of sustainability and operational performance in residential buildings.
This article originally appeared on the BREEAM website. It was published in August 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BREEAM Case studies.
- BREEAM USA In-Use: Residential Plus.
- BREEAM In-Use Version 6 environmental standard launched by BRE.
- Case study.
- CIBSE Case Study: Everyman Theatre Liverpool.
- Sustainability in building design and construction.
- The Porter Building.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here.
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content.
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.