- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Feb 2019
The requirement for lifting devices is set out in Part M of the building regulations; Access to and use of buildings. Approved document M makes clear that passenger lifts are the most suitable form of vertical transportation, however, in some existing buildings, and very occasionally in new buildings, if a passenger lift cannot be accommodated, then a vertical lifting platform (or platform lift) may be considered as an alternative.
Lifting platforms are only intended for wheelchair users, people with impaired mobility and their companions, not for general users. They should not travel more than 2 m unless there is a liftway enclosure. They are slow moving, limited to 0.15 m/s, and so may not be suitable for users with some disabilities.
They should be at least:
- 800 mm wide and 1,250 mm deep where they are not enclosed and are for unaccompanied wheelchair users.
- 900 mm wide and 1,400 mm deep where they are enclosed and are for unaccompanied wheelchair users.
- 1,100 mm wide and 1,400 mm deep where doors are at 90 degrees, they are enclosed and are for accompanied wheelchair users.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Access and inclusion in the built environment: policy and guidance.
- Approved document M.
- Firefighting lift.
- How do platform lifts work?
- How to use a ladder.
- Inclusive design.
- Lifting device.
- Lifts and Their Special Operating Modes.
- Lifts for office buildings.
- Post lift.
- Smart elevators.
- The importance of service lifts.
- The science of lifts.
- Wheelchair platform.
- Work at height.
- Working platform.
- Working platforms for tracked plant: good practice guide to the design, installation, maintenance and repair of ground-supported working platforms.
Featured articles and news
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?
One of the seven man-made wonders of Arizona.
A more flexible approach is needed.
A quick step-by-step introduction to the BREEAM process.
First pioneered in the USA and then France.