- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Nov 2020
In-building wireless communication solutions
The term 'in-building wireless' refers to communication solutions that maintain connectivity inside a building where signals from the core infrastructure are not reachable. In-building wireless solutions are often used by network providers that seeking enhanced delivery of services to their core clients in demanding signal environments.
Conventional distributed antenna systems (DAS) based in-building wireless has shifted its focus from providing good signal coverage inside a building to increasing the capacity for bandwidth-consuming services such as data-centric services. To keep up with the pace of technology, customers want to communicate wirelessly without any drops in the connectivity.
The growing demand for smartphones and increasing data usage by the consumers are the major factors contributing to the growth of the in-building wireless market. Companies in the market are expected to deploy Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks and develop small cells that run on 4G or LTE networks. However, the issues regarding interference, designing and installation are expected to pose challenges to the growth of the market. Additionally, the major problem with such systems is the isolation and authentic use of the services.
- Components include antennas, cables, distributed antennas such as active and passive DAS, repeaters, amplifiers and small cells such as micro cells, pico cells and femtocells.
- There are three types of business models available, namely, the carrier model, enterprise model and host model.
- Buildings are classified as large buildings, medium buildings and small buildings. Additionally, the installation process is different for new buildings and for existing buildings. The main application of the wireless in-building market is found in commercial sector, government sector, hospitals, hospitality, industrial sector, educational institutes and retail stores among others.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved document R.
- BSRIA expects fast growth in Power over Ethernet applications.
- Distributed Antenna Systems DAS
- Glossary of electrical terms.
- ICT and Automation (ICTA) Scoping Study Report.
- Internet of things.
- Internet of things in commercial buildings.
- Local area network.
- Smart buildings.
- Smart cities.
- Smart technology.
- The future of electricity in domestic buildings.
- UtterBerry intelligent wireless sensor system.
- Wireless electric highways
- Wireless vs wired building energy management system.
Featured articles and news
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.
How elements and processes work together in a systems approach.
CIOB offers digital guide to proactive methods of working.
Tech will drive professional development in fields tied to infrastructure.