- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Sep 2018
The previous definition used in the 2001 Census was:
‘one person living alone or a group of people (not necessarily related) living at the same address with common housekeeping – that is, sharing either a living room or sitting room or at least one meal a day’.
The definition was altered to take into account social changes and modern living arrangements.
One person or a group of people who have the accommodation as their only or main residence AND (for a group):
- either share at least one meal a day, or
- share the living accommodation, that is, a living room or sitting room.
NB: From April 2001, Government surveys, replaced the traditional concept of the "head of the household" (HOH) with a "household reference person" (HRP). See household reference person for more information.
- £3.4 milion – number of households with 20 to 34-year olds living with parents.
- 57% - proportion of households consisting of just one or two adults.
- 39% - proportion of households with children.
- 4%- proportion of other household types, eg. House share, multigenerational living.
- 28% - proportion of people living alone.
- 10% - proportion of single-parent families.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Flat definition.
- Household reference person.
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
Driven piles are used to support buildings, walls and bridges, and can be the most cost-effective deep foundation solution.
Australian landmark celebrates achievement of carbon neutral status five years ahead of schedule.
Non-material amendments can sometimes be necessary after planning permission has been granted. Find out more here.
Six things civil engineers could do to ensure the success of projects.
Dublin housing crisis restricts employers' ability to recruit, according to new U+I research.
Intricate inlays and beautiful patterns can be created with waterjet cutting.
Two historic quarries in environmentally sensitive areas were reopened to repair Exeter Cathedral.
The phrase ‘time at large’ describes the situation where there is no date for completion, or it has become invalid.
The Maldives is under threat from climate change. Read this report from BRE on their potential involvement in the region.
MHCLG update states there are still 124 private high-rise buildings with unsafe cladding and no remediation plan.