- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Sep 2018
The previous definition used in the 2001 Census was:
‘one person living alone or a group of people (not necessarily related) living at the same address with common housekeeping – that is, sharing either a living room or sitting room or at least one meal a day’.
The definition was altered to take into account social changes and modern living arrangements.
One person or a group of people who have the accommodation as their only or main residence AND (for a group):
- either share at least one meal a day, or
- share the living accommodation, that is, a living room or sitting room.
NB: From April 2001, Government surveys, replaced the traditional concept of the "head of the household" (HOH) with a "household reference person" (HRP). See household reference person for more information.
- £3.4 milion – number of households with 20 to 34-year olds living with parents.
- 57% - proportion of households consisting of just one or two adults.
- 39% - proportion of households with children.
- 4%- proportion of other household types, eg. House share, multigenerational living.
- 28% - proportion of people living alone.
- 10% - proportion of single-parent families.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Flat definition.
- Household reference person.
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
Starting a new built environment degree? We have a wide range of resources aimed at students.
Former railway chief James Blake says trust and control are key to successful infrastructure projects.
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.
The machinery used to fashion stone has changed dramatically - and so have the products.
This type of pile provides support to the building, as well as acting as a heat source and a heat sink.
Why investors are adopting the SDGs and why civil engineering could be crucial for delivering them.
Read about all the winners from the London ceremony of CIAT's 2018 Architectural Technology Awards.