- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Apr 2019
The previous definition used in the 2001 Census was:
‘one person living alone or a group of people (not necessarily related) living at the same address with common housekeeping – that is, sharing either a living room or sitting room or at least one meal a day’.
The definition was altered to take into account social changes and modern living arrangements.
One person or a group of people who have the accommodation as their only or main residence AND (for a group):
- either share at least one meal a day, or
- share the living accommodation, that is, a living room or sitting room.
NB: From April 2001, Government surveys, replaced the traditional concept of the "head of the household" (HOH) with a "household reference person" (HRP). See household reference person for more information.
- £3.4 milion – number of households with 20 to 34-year olds living with parents.
- 57% - proportion of households consisting of just one or two adults.
- 39% - proportion of households with children.
- 4%- proportion of other household types, eg. House share, multigenerational living.
- 28% - proportion of people living alone.
- 10% - proportion of single-parent families.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Domestic building.
- Flat definition.
- Household reference person.
- Pantry, buttery, larder and scullery
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
Tackling domestic abuse.
Disallowed costs vs. defined costs. Which is which?
Coping with the loss of local authority conservation services.
Remedial works could save the NHS £95 million a year.
One of Europe’s largest waterfront transformations.
How BIM was used to produce an information model of a home.
Skyscrapers of the future will be built of wood.
How to increase your chances of winning.
Benefits, not cost, should be the focus.
Formula E drives electric vehicle market forward.
Moorfields building sets UK pile-loading record.