- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Nov 2019
The previous definition used in the 2001 Census was:
‘one person living alone or a group of people (not necessarily related) living at the same address with common housekeeping – that is, sharing either a living room or sitting room or at least one meal a day’.
The definition was altered to take into account social changes and modern living arrangements.
One person or a group of people who have the accommodation as their only or main residence AND (for a group):
- either share at least one meal a day, or
- share the living accommodation, that is, a living room or sitting room.
NB: From April 2001, Government surveys, replaced the traditional concept of the "head of the household" (HOH) with a "household reference person" (HRP). See household reference person for more information.
- £3.4 milion – number of households with 20 to 34-year olds living with parents.
- 57% - proportion of households consisting of just one or two adults.
- 39% - proportion of households with children.
- 4%- proportion of other household types, eg. House share, multigenerational living.
- 28% - proportion of people living alone.
- 10% - proportion of single-parent families.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Dining room.
- Domestic building.
- Flat definition.
- Household reference person.
- Pantry, buttery, larder and scullery
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
Suburban Americana with a secret past.
New planning rules to protect theatres, concert halls and music venues.
Public engagement in London Borough of Enfield's heritage strategy.
Engineering services in the spotlight.
The Government's Summer 2020 economic update.
Getting organised below the surface.
Securing suitable water systems.
Love them or hate them, they are popping up everywhere.
The initiative to enhance the environment continues.
Could underused community spaces offer an alternative to working from home?
Keeping workers and workplaces safe in the United States.