- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 29 Oct 2020
The previous definition used in the 2001 Census was:
‘one person living alone or a group of people (not necessarily related) living at the same address with common housekeeping – that is, sharing either a living room or sitting room or at least one meal a day’.
The definition was altered to take into account social changes and modern living arrangements.
One person or a group of people who have the accommodation as their only or main residence AND (for a group):
- either share at least one meal a day, or
- share the living accommodation, that is, a living room or sitting room.
NB: From April 2001, Government surveys, replaced the traditional concept of the "head of the household" (HOH) with a "household reference person" (HRP). See household reference person for more information.
- £3.4 milion – number of households with 20 to 34-year olds living with parents.
- 57% - proportion of households consisting of just one or two adults.
- 39% - proportion of households with children.
- 4%- proportion of other household types, eg. House share, multigenerational living.
- 28% - proportion of people living alone.
- 10% - proportion of single-parent families.
The English Housing Survey, Energy efficiency, 2018-19, published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government in July 2020 suggests the main classification of household type uses the following categories:
- Couple no dependent child(ren).
- Couple with dependent child(ren).
- Couple with dependent and independent child(ren).
- Couple with independent child(ren).
- Lone parent with dependent child(ren).
- Lone parent with dependent and independent child(ren).
- Lone parent with independent child(ren).
- Two or more families.
- Lone person sharing with other lone persons.
- One male.
- One female.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Dining room.
- Domestic building.
- Flat definition.
- Household reference person.
- Pantry, buttery, larder and scullery
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.