- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 29 Oct 2020
The previous definition used in the 2001 Census was:
‘one person living alone or a group of people (not necessarily related) living at the same address with common housekeeping – that is, sharing either a living room or sitting room or at least one meal a day’.
The definition was altered to take into account social changes and modern living arrangements.
One person or a group of people who have the accommodation as their only or main residence AND (for a group):
- either share at least one meal a day, or
- share the living accommodation, that is, a living room or sitting room.
NB: From April 2001, Government surveys, replaced the traditional concept of the "head of the household" (HOH) with a "household reference person" (HRP). See household reference person for more information.
- £3.4 milion – number of households with 20 to 34-year olds living with parents.
- 57% - proportion of households consisting of just one or two adults.
- 39% - proportion of households with children.
- 4%- proportion of other household types, eg. House share, multigenerational living.
- 28% - proportion of people living alone.
- 10% - proportion of single-parent families.
The English Housing Survey, Energy efficiency, 2018-19, published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government in July 2020 suggests the main classification of household type uses the following categories:
- Couple no dependent child(ren).
- Couple with dependent child(ren).
- Couple with dependent and independent child(ren).
- Couple with independent child(ren).
- Lone parent with dependent child(ren).
- Lone parent with dependent and independent child(ren).
- Lone parent with independent child(ren).
- Two or more families.
- Lone person sharing with other lone persons.
- One male.
- One female.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Dining room.
- Domestic building.
- Flat definition.
- Household reference person.
- Pantry, buttery, larder and scullery
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
A showcase of She ethnic culture.
CIOB creates charter and publishes special report.
Response submitted by IHBC.
Designed to accommodate flooding or waterway traffic.
ECA states concerns over the Government's disparate plans.
Net zero carbon future - necessity, not choice - was the event's focus.
CIOB event spotlighted sustainability strategies in the region.
The 19th and 20th centuries left a legacy of defects.
An invaluable technique that should be used more often.