The Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore, or Florence Cathedral, is the main church of Florence in Italy. Located in the Piazza del Duomo, it was constructed between 1296 and 1436 in the Gothic-Renaissance style. The cathedral complex also includes the Baptistery and Campanile and is situated in the historic centre of Florence, part of the UNESCO World Heritage site, and remains one of the most popular attractions in Italy.
At a height of 114.5m (376ft) and a length of 153m (502 ft), the cathedral is the fourth largest in the world, behind St. Peter’s in Rome, St. Paul’s in London and the Milan Duomo. When it was completed, the dome, by architect Filippo Brunelleschi, was the largest in the world and it is still the largest masonry dome ever built.
The vast Gothic structure was built on the site of the 7th century church of Santa Reparata, the remains of which can still be seen in the crypt. The church had been crumbling away and was no longer fit to serve the growing population of Florence.
The cathedral was designed by Arnolfo di Cambio, and construction work began in 1296. Over the course of the next 140 years Arnolfo’s design for the eastern end, although conceptually maintained, was greatly expanded in size.
With Arnolfo’s death in 1310, work on the cathedral slowed for the next thirty years until 1331, when the guild of wool merchants became patrons for its construction, and in 1334 appointed Giotto to continue the work. He proceeded with overseeing the construction of the campanile. Upon his death in 1337, Andrea Pisano took over until work was halted in 1348 because of the Black Death.
A series of architects resumed the work in 1349, with the campanile being completed along with the enlargement of the apse and side chapels. In 1359, Giovanni di Lapo Ghini divided the central nave into four square bays. By 1418, all that remained to be constructed was the dome which was finally completed in 1436.
Although the church was consecrated once the dome was in place, the exterior of the basilica remained unfinished until 1887. Emilio De Fabris completed the façade with polychrome marble panels in an elaborate Gothic Revival assortment of green, pink and white. Marble tiles were relaid on the church’s floor in the 16th century.
In 1418, the patrons announced an architectural design competition for the dome. Architects studied the mysterious equations of the Pantheon in Rome to try and come up with a suitable solution to the technical problems posed be what would be the highest and widest vault ever constructed.
The goldsmith and watchmaker Filippo Brunelleschi designed the winning concept, which would be 45 m wide. Work began in 1420 and was completed in 1436. It was the first octagonal dome built without a temporary wooden supporting frame and is still considered a masterpiece of design and engineering.
The conical roof was topped with a layer of copper and a cross in 1469 using a crane specially designed by Leonardo da Vinci. In 1600, the dome was struck by lightning, causing the copper ball to fall to the ground below, the spot now marked by a silver plaque.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 9 of the world’s most impressive structures.
- Building of the week series.
- Cathedral of Brasilia.
- Cologne Cathedral.
- Eiffel Tower.
- Hagia Sophia.
- Leaning Tower of Pisa.
- Palace of Westminster.
- Pendentive dome.
- Roman Colosseum.
- Sagrada Familia.
- St. Basil’s Cathedral.
- St Pauls Cathedral.
- St Peters Basilica.
- Taj Mahal.
- Tallest buildings in the world.
- Types of dome.
- Unusual building design of the week.
 External references
- Brunelleschi's Dome - History
Conservation Areas go ‘Back to the future’ at the Royal College of Physicians on 3 Oct as revolutionary historic placeshaping looks ahead to the next 50 years.
The Yorkshire Branch’s walking tour around Hull’s Old Town is part of the linked Heritage Trust Network (HTN) Conference on 3-4 October - special rates to IHBC members.
National Archives support for establishing fundraising charity - though only HESPR members have been notified before the opportunity closed on 22 September.
Historic England has issued the latest figures collated by the IHBC and ALGAO which highlights ongoing reductions in capacity even as workload continues to grow.
On 25 September applications open for the programme, supporting projects that run for a maximum of 2 years, with funding starting from 1 April 2018.
The conservation area house that generated its own IHBC ToolBox Guidance Note on the use of S.215 Notices may now be demolished and a new one built in its place.
Creative Europe Call - offering support for cooperation projects related to EYCH 2018 and targeting projects with a start date between January and September 2018 closes 22 Nov.
John Glen, Minister for Arts, Heritage and Tourism has pledged the UK to helping save historic and artistic artefacts under threat in conflict-torn countries.
Entries to The European Association Awards (EAA) are now open and the deadline for entries is 5pm Friday 27th October 2017.
Parliamentary copyright images are reproduced with the permission of Parliament
England’s DCLG the package of support worth £22.8 million to help communities develop plans to give them a real say in the development of their area.
City councillors rejected plans to a build ‘six-star’ hotel around the Category-A listed Royal High School after public objections - the developers ask Scottish ministers to intervene.