- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 05 Mar 2021
Fitness studio design
It’s the wow factor that dominates the newest design trends, with fitness studios drawing inspiration from styles as diverse as Art Deco glamour and industrial minimalism. From bold primary colours to understated monochrome palettes, dramatic interiors harness the emotional and physical in today’s multisensory workout environments.
There has been a significant shift in target markets, and boutique fitness studio designs have evolved to meet the expectations of an international, multigenerational audience. Sophisticated materials such as reclaimed wood, glimmering metallics and blackened steel are enticing, but it’s important to incorporate an unexpected playful piece as a gentle reminder to take your passions seriously without taking yourself too seriously.
- Generous social spaces are the newest “must haves” for both international and US clients, and fitness studios often host community charity events, birthday celebrations, and bachelorette parties. Working out is the new going out, and positive, hardworking people come early and stay late to sweat, smile, inspire and connect.
- Three studios under one roof deliver fresh workouts every day of the week. Whether you live for indoor cycling or prefer foundational strength and mobility, fitness junkies can partake in speciality classes or mix it up with a double shot of each.
- Black and white with a pop of colour and clean, uncluttered minimalism will continue. Black is back.
- Childcare with fitness equipment and specialised classes for the little ones.
- Superior sound mitigation techniques, HVAC with fresh air intake, and flawless acoustics.
- Velvet seating in vibrant blues, pinks, and burnt orange. Durable and stain resistant, this is not your grandmother’s red velvet of yesteryear.
- Mesmerising illumination with purpose; used sparingly with ever-changing, programmable scenes to create an emotional and physical response.
- Smaller, more intimate indoor cycling studios with 30-35 bikes rather than 45-50. More classes on the schedule and midnight rides for 3rd shift workers.
- Cafes and refreshment bars serving nutritious post-workout fare.
- Blow dry bars loaded with grooming essentials make it easier to perfect post-workout hair.
- High quality visual merchandising systems with athletic mannequins, fashion activewear and accessories to entice retail sales.
- Feminine tones in blush, pink, bronze, and taupe are new colours that conjure up a playful landscape for the senses.
 Cookie cutters are for baking not branding
Successful fitness brands must tell a story to inspire loyalty, and they cannot merely arrive on the scene – they must be vitally relevant and impossible to ignore. To become visible and differentiate, remember to avoid using the same words, promises, and designs as your competitors to convince the world how unique you are. Harness the power of creativity to spark imagination and curiosity to keep your members coming back for more.
--Barbara Chancey Design Group 15:55, 11 Jul 2020 (BST)
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.