- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Sep 2017
Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system
BRE is an independent, research-based consultancy, testing and training organisation, operating in the built environment and associated industries. Its activities include; consultancy, research and innovation, testing, certification, approvals, training, events and accreditation.
On 07 December 2015, BRE published Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system (FB 77) by Gavin Jones. It was funded by funded by BRE Trust, the largest UK charity dedicated specifically to research and education in the built environment.
The guide suggests that one of the key functions of any facility is to provide security, but that there is a lack of understanding about how to measure the performance of facilities in terms of security and how to procure effective security. This can result in investment in unnecessary or ineffective security controls. Security is often considered too late in the procurement process leaving end users with buildings that will always be difficult to secure.
The guide highlights the need to protect people and assets from threats to building security by establishing security objectives at the outset and ensuring there is close collaboration between project team members and security advisers. It is intended for use by procurement teams
It provides guidance on:
- Facility planning and design.
- How to integrate security systems into the procurement process.
- Key security tasks, information exchanges, and roles and responsibilities.
- The need to protect information relating to buildings and their security.
- The importance of testing, evaluating and reviewing security system performance.
The contents of the guide are:
- Facility planning and design: a foundation for effective protective security.
- Protective security design.
- The procurement process: an integrated approach.
- System testing and evaluation.
- Key messages.
- References and further information.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Access control.
- Approved document Q.
- Commercial security systems
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- How to install an underfloor safe.
- Intruder alarm.
- Outbuildings security.
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management
- Perimeter security.
- Security glazing.
- Suitably Qualified Security Specialist.
Featured articles and news
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.
What type of cool roof is most suitable?
Active Travel programme prioritises cyclists and pedestrians.
CIAT issues caution for use of new standard.
Industry leaders discuss climate change, the economy and other influences.
The building manager is key to operations.
The impact Scotland’s dynamic coast has on the historic environment.
IHBC announces role in new APPG.