- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Dec 2020
Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system
BRE is an independent, research-based consultancy, testing and training organisation, operating in the built environment and associated industries. Its activities include; consultancy, research and innovation, testing, certification, approvals, training, events and accreditation.
On 07 December 2015, BRE published Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system (FB 77) by Gavin Jones. It was funded by funded by BRE Trust, the largest UK charity dedicated specifically to research and education in the built environment.
The guide suggests that one of the key functions of any facility is to provide security, but that there is a lack of understanding about how to measure the performance of facilities in terms of security and how to procure effective security. This can result in investment in unnecessary or ineffective security controls. Security is often considered too late in the procurement process leaving end users with buildings that will always be difficult to secure.
The guide highlights the need to protect people and assets from threats to building security by establishing security objectives at the outset and ensuring there is close collaboration between project team members and security advisers. It is intended for use by procurement teams
It provides guidance on:
- Facility planning and design.
- How to integrate security systems into the procurement process.
- Key security tasks, information exchanges, and roles and responsibilities.
- The need to protect information relating to buildings and their security.
- The importance of testing, evaluating and reviewing security system performance.
The contents of the guide are:
- Facility planning and design: a foundation for effective protective security.
- Protective security design.
- The procurement process: an integrated approach.
- System testing and evaluation.
- Key messages.
- References and further information.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Access control.
- Approved document Q.
- Commercial security systems
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- How to install an underfloor safe.
- Intruder alarm.
- Outbuildings security.
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management
- Perimeter security.
- Security glazing.
- Suitably Qualified Security Specialist.
Featured articles and news
One of England's grandest country houses.
Take just two minutes to provide your feedback.
An update of standards and regulations are under consideration.
Exploring the key to the adoption of this abundant energy source.
His clients have ranged from Liberace to St Nick to world-class athletes.
These tactical structures can be permanent or temporary.
Organisation recognises milestones of the project's next phase.
Welding and metalworking businesses must manage respiratory risks.
New report explores how regulations are being put into action.
The golden thread and BS 8644-1.
Bitumen binder may delay road surface deterioration.
A varied portfolio of internationally recognised buildings.
Threatened by housing and expanding universities.
Getting "boots on the ground" to make things happen.