- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Dec 2020
Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system
BRE is an independent, research-based consultancy, testing and training organisation, operating in the built environment and associated industries. Its activities include; consultancy, research and innovation, testing, certification, approvals, training, events and accreditation.
On 07 December 2015, BRE published Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system (FB 77) by Gavin Jones. It was funded by funded by BRE Trust, the largest UK charity dedicated specifically to research and education in the built environment.
The guide suggests that one of the key functions of any facility is to provide security, but that there is a lack of understanding about how to measure the performance of facilities in terms of security and how to procure effective security. This can result in investment in unnecessary or ineffective security controls. Security is often considered too late in the procurement process leaving end users with buildings that will always be difficult to secure.
The guide highlights the need to protect people and assets from threats to building security by establishing security objectives at the outset and ensuring there is close collaboration between project team members and security advisers. It is intended for use by procurement teams
It provides guidance on:
- Facility planning and design.
- How to integrate security systems into the procurement process.
- Key security tasks, information exchanges, and roles and responsibilities.
- The need to protect information relating to buildings and their security.
- The importance of testing, evaluating and reviewing security system performance.
The contents of the guide are:
- Facility planning and design: a foundation for effective protective security.
- Protective security design.
- The procurement process: an integrated approach.
- System testing and evaluation.
- Key messages.
- References and further information.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Access control.
- Approved document Q.
- Commercial security systems
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- How to install an underfloor safe.
- Intruder alarm.
- Outbuildings security.
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management
- Perimeter security.
- Security glazing.
- Suitably Qualified Security Specialist.
Featured articles and news
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.
Making the case for a sustainable future.
Retrofit professionals now entitled to enter CIOB programme.
How, where, when and why stereotypes happen.