- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Sep 2020
Elemental bill of quantities
A bill of quantities (sometimes referred to as a 'BoQ' or 'BQ') is a document, typically prepared by a cost consultant (often a quantity surveyor), that provides measured quantities of the items of work identified by the drawings and specifications in the tender documentation for a project. It is issued to tenderers to allow them to prepare a price for carrying out the works.
According to NRM2, RICS new rules of measurement, Detailed measurement for building work, there are three main breakdown structures for bill of quantities:
The elemental breakdown structure undertakes measurement and description by group elements, with each group element forming a separate section of the bill of quantities, irrespective of the order of work sections in NRM 2. Group elements are sub-divided through the use of elements, which are further sub-divided by sub-elements, as defined by NRM 1: Order of cost estimating and cost planning for capital building works.
- Bill No. 1: Preliminaries (main contract).
- Bill No. 2: Facilitating works.
- Bill No. 3: Substructure.
- Bill No. 4: Superstructure.
- Bill No. 5: Internal finishes.
- Bill No. 6: Fittings, furnishings and equipment.
- Bill No. 7: Services.
- Bill No. 8: External works.
- Bill No. 9: Risks.
- Bill No. 10: Provisional sums.
- Bill No. 11: Credits.
- Bill No. 12: Daywork (provisional).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Advantages of a bill of quantities.
- Approximate bill of quantities.
- Bill of quantities.
- Bill of quantities breakdown structures.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections (CAWS).
- Common mistakes in bill of quantities.
- Comparison of SMM7 with NRM2.
- Elemental cost plan.
- Firm bill of quantities.
- How to take off construction works.
- Schedule of rates.
- Standard Method of Measurement (SMM7).
- Taking off.
- Tender documentation.
- Tender pricing document.
- Types of bill of quantities.
- Unpriced bill.
- Work package bill of quantities.
- Work section bill of quantities.
Featured articles and news
Four outstanding professionals recognised.
Sustainable flooring from super strong grass.
Organisation presents reactions from industry leaders.
New infrastructure bank to be based in the North of England.
Fairer, faster, greener. A summary of the key points.
Strategies to help provide safer working conditions.
Protecting flora, fauna and the other natural features of Scotland.
Architecture considered somewhere between 'sublime and beautiful'.
Polish piano factory revived through an energy-oriented tune up.
Dynamic architectural approach sets out to restore and improve the environment.
Entries accepted from 1 December 2020 to 14 April 2021.
Procedure discontinued for sale or re-mortgage of buildings without cladding.
The art of negotiation.