- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Jun 2019
Elemental bill of quantities
A bill of quantities (sometimes referred to as a 'BoQ' or 'BQ') is a document, typically prepared by a cost consultant (often a quantity surveyor), that provides measured quantities of the items of work identified by the drawings and specifications in the tender documentation for a project. It is issued to tenderers to allow them to prepare a price for carrying out the works.
According to NRM2, RICS new rules of measurement, Detailed measurement for building work, there are three main breakdown structures for bill of quantities:
The elemental breakdown structure undertakes measurement and description by group elements, with each group element forming a separate section of the bill of quantities, irrespective of the order of work sections in NRM 2. Group elements are sub-divided through the use of elements, which are further sub-divided by sub-elements, as defined by NRM 1: Order of cost estimating and cost planning for capital building works.
- Bill No. 1: Preliminaries (main contract).
- Bill No. 2: Facilitating works.
- Bill No. 3: Substructure.
- Bill No. 4: Superstructure.
- Bill No. 5: Internal finishes.
- Bill No. 6: Fittings, furnishings and equipment.
- Bill No. 7: Services.
- Bill No. 8: External works.
- Bill No. 9: Risks.
- Bill No. 10: Provisional sums.
- Bill No. 11: Credits.
- Bill No. 12: Daywork (provisional).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Advantages of a bill of quantities.
- Approximate bill of quantities.
- Bill of quantities.
- Bill of quantities breakdown structures.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections (CAWS).
- Common mistakes in bill of quantities.
- Comparison of SMM7 with NRM2.
- Elemental cost plan.
- Firm bill of quantities.
- How to take off construction works.
- Schedule of rates.
- Standard Method of Measurement (SMM7).
- Taking off.
- Tender documentation.
- Tender pricing document.
- Types of bill of quantities.
- Unpriced bill.
- Work package bill of quantities.
- Work section bill of quantities.
Featured articles and news
The situation with the insurance of vulnerable properties.
New standards for homes
Competition to address the grand challenges of future housing needs.
The redevelopment of Leicester's sewerage system by Joseph Gordon.
A standard design for manses in the Highland districts.
The Prairie School style.
Adopting SuDS alongside traditional sewerage infrastructure.
Choosing the optimal bid strategy.
New Scottish guide on managing climate change risks.
Willowbrook Care Home