- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 03 Nov 2020
Digital marketing for the construction industry
The construction industry has yet to adopt digital marketing on the scale of other businesses, there’s a lot of room to pull ahead with some creativity. This is especially true for small and mid-sized companies.
 Writing content
One ad agency interviewed 76 leading marketers in 2016 to find out the most important industry trends. About a quarter of them emphasised the importance of content, with a handful reiterating a phrase that’s become digital marketing’s de facto motto: Content is King.
With more and more companies fighting for the throne, writing exceptional content often requires a specialist. Luckily, construction is an industry with many niches, and there are things you know that others want to find out about.
Let’s say you’re in construction rigging in Florida. People would love to know what problems foreign-based materials vendors might face transporting large freight at a local site. This is just one possible article which you could write using your knowledge of local regulations, the local labour market, and personal industry experience.
The Content Marketing Institute has resources on everything content-related.
Understand how online content is not the same as print.
Read this beginner’s guide.
 Publish your content on LinkedIn
LinkedIn complements your website and Facebook page, but remember that articles longer than three paragraphs are best for their publishing platform. For shorter content use the status update — and make it digestible.
Join active industry groups and contribute to conversations on those pages.
The UK mandates BIM for all government construction projects. Australia, Germany, and the UAE are planning similar requirements, and the process is growing rapidly around the word. Companies need to prepare for the time when BIM will be the industry standard.
In China, WeChat is ideal for work and social groups. It fosters a golden ratio of purpose (you can only join a group by invitation) and casualness (the groups look like chat rooms). For business, they tend to be professional, friendly, and active. Whoever can start filling the demand using Western platforms will get prime opportunities to network and advertise.
 Develop micro-partnerships with other businesses
Influencer marketing is selling your product via an industry or community leader. It’s today’s version of getting Michael Jordan in your commercial. Two unique things about influencer marketing are especially relevant for construction professionals.
- Working with micro-influencers can have a better ROI than seeking out the biggest names. The widely-accepted definition of a micro-influencer is an individual with 10,000-150,000 followers on Instagram. In the construction industry — as opposed to film or fashion — few people can be considered mega-influencers. That’s not a bad thing because marketers are just starting to discover how people are more likely to trust niche leaders. You can begin using tools like Buzzsumo to find and contact accounts your consumers follow.
- Partnerships can lead to long-term earned media relationships. The largest construction accounts are still associations and publications. By definition, they want to work with individuals and companies. If you’ve already built your online influence through networking or content, you’re in a good position to help outlets and industry groups with their goals. Approach them about issues both of you care about, whether that’s social housing costs or building sustainability. This applies to individual influencers too.
 Catalog on platforms for builders, developers, and architects
 Use virtual reality
Filming you own 360-degree content is possible, but you’ll need to do some research first.
People are always surprised when they see that most VR rigs are soccer ball-shaped apparatuses with GoPro cameras attached. While they’re expensive, rental companies make filming on your own possible. Hiring production might be worth the cost for many businesses.
 Find the right specialists
Sometimes you have to know when to call the professionals. For example, you can do the basics of SEO on your own with a plugin like Yoast. But if you want a unique web presence, you need specialists and firms that create leading SEO and content strategies.
Before you hire, know want you want to accomplish and what questions to ask. The essentials are portfolio, capabilities, and measuring ROI. Familiarity with construction is also a big bonus, and luckily construction marketing is a growing field with its own pool of consultants and agencies.
 Track your campaigns
Tracking your digital marketing campaigns is important. Hubspot is a popular platform for marketing. Google Analytics has its own courses for users. At the end of the day, you’re going to have to figure out which software is best for your business. It might take some trial and error, but it will be worth it.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Architectural publishing.
- Brand guidelines.
- Constructing a three year strategic marketing plan.
- Construction marketing.
- Embedding successful key client management.
- Market segmentation.
- Marketing audit.
- Marketing planning.
- Mixed-use marketing.
- One-year tactical or operational marketing plan.
- Property marketing.
- Routes to market.
- Search engine optimisation / Optimising your article for search engines.
- Self publishing for architects.
- Technical notes on architectural publishing.
- Using publishing to optimise real estate projects.
- Winning work.
- Writing technique.
Featured articles and news
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.
How elements and processes work together in a systems approach.
CIOB offers digital guide to proactive methods of working.