- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Apr 2019
A phobia (from the Greek 'phobos') literally means fear of an object or a situation. As an anxiety disorder, it is usually irrational and excessive. People with phobias usually go to great lengths to avoid situations that might bring on the phobia. Phobias include melissophobia (fear of bees), claustrophobia (confined spaces) and agoraphobia (open spaces).
Specific phobias – such as cynophobia (dogs) and arachnophobia (spiders) – generally start in childhood and may be linked to an unpleasant event experienced by the sufferer. Some phobias may be treated with behavioural therapy.
- Church - Ecclesiophobia
- Colour - Chromatophobia/chromophobia
- Colour black - Melanophobia
- Computers - Cyberphobia/computerphobia
- Crossing bridges - Gephyrophobia
- Crossing streets - Dromophobia
- Draughts - Anemophobia
- Dust - Amathophobia, koniphobia
- Confined spaces - Claustrophobia
- Damp/moisture/liquids - Hygrophobia
- Everything - Pantophobia
- Fire - Pyrophobia
- Glass - Hyalophobia
- Heat - Thermophobia
- Heights - Acrophobia, altophobia
- High ceilings/tall buildings - Altocelarophobia
- Home - Ecophobia
- Houses - Oikophobia, domatophobia
- Ice, frost - Cryophobia
- Ideas - Ideophobia
- Imperfection - Atelophobia
- Infinity - Apeirophobia
- Large objects - Macrophobia
- Leaves - Phyllophobia
- Lightning - Astraphobia
- Machinery - Mechanophobia
- Many things - Polyphobia
- Metals - Metallophobia
- Mirrors - Catotrophobia/eisoptrophobia
- Narrowness - Anginaphobia
- Noise - Phonophobia
- Open spaces - Agoraphobia
- Pointed instruments - Aichmophobia
- Responsibility - Hypegiaphobia
- Rust - Iophobia
- Shadows - Sciophobia
- Small objects - Microphobia
- Sound - Acousticophobia
- Stairs - Climacophobia
- String - Linonophobia
- Sun - Heliophobia
- Symbols - Symbolophobia
- Trees - Dendrophobia
- Vehicles - Amaxophobia
- Voids - Kenophobia
- Water - Hydrophobia/aquaphobia
- Wind - Ancraophobia
- Wood - Xylophobia/hylophobia
- Words - Logophobia
- Work - Ergophobia/ergasiophobia
- Wounds/injury -Traumatophobia
- Writing - Graphophobia
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Are we doing the right thing? Shaping well-being into the future of our urban communities.
- Assessing health and wellbeing in buildings.
- BRE wellbeing research paper competition.
- Building related illness.
- Human comfort in buildings.
- Sick building syndrome.
- Tackling mental health in the workplace.
- Tackling mental health issues in construction.
- TG10 2016 At a glance, wellbeing.
- Thermal comfort and wellbeing.
- Wellbeing considerations for property managers.
- WELL and BREEAM align.
- WELL Building Standard.
- What we know about wellbeing.
Featured articles and news
Government response to the Building a Safer Future consultation.
Energy savings quickly payback any small additional capital investment.
Overbuild and air-space developments.
Airports National Policy Statement and its impact on infrastructure.
Organisations will collaborate on infrastructure initiatives.
Technology informs procurement and planning practices.
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.