- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 08 Sep 2021
A phobia (from the Greek 'phobos') literally means fear of an object or a situation. As an anxiety disorder, it is usually irrational and excessive. People with phobias usually go to great lengths to avoid situations that might bring on the phobia. Phobias include melissophobia (fear of bees), claustrophobia (confined spaces) and agoraphobia (open spaces).
Specific phobias – such as cynophobia (dogs) and arachnophobia (spiders) – generally start in childhood and may be linked to an unpleasant event experienced by the sufferer. Some phobias may be treated with behavioural therapy.
- Church - Ecclesiophobia
- Colour - Chromatophobia/chromophobia
- Colour black - Melanophobia
- Computers - Cyberphobia/computerphobia
- Crossing bridges - Gephyrophobia
- Crossing streets - Dromophobia
- Draughts - Anemophobia
- Dust - Amathophobia, koniphobia
- Confined spaces - Claustrophobia
- Damp/moisture/liquids - Hygrophobia
- Everything - Pantophobia
- Fire - Pyrophobia
- Glass - Hyalophobia
- Heat - Thermophobia
- Heights - Acrophobia, altophobia
- High ceilings/tall buildings - Altocelarophobia
- Home - Ecophobia
- Houses - Oikophobia, domatophobia
- Ice, frost - Cryophobia
- Ideas - Ideophobia
- Imperfection - Atelophobia
- Infinity - Apeirophobia
- Large objects - Macrophobia
- Leaves - Phyllophobia
- Lightning - Astraphobia
- Machinery - Mechanophobia
- Many things - Polyphobia
- Metals - Metallophobia
- Mirrors - Catotrophobia/eisoptrophobia
- Narrowness - Anginaphobia
- Noise - Phonophobia
- Open spaces - Agoraphobia
- Pointed instruments - Aichmophobia
- Responsibility - Hypegiaphobia
- Rust - Iophobia
- Shadows - Sciophobia
- Small objects - Microphobia
- Sound - Acousticophobia
- Stairs - Climacophobia
- String - Linonophobia
- Sun - Heliophobia
- Symbols - Symbolophobia
- Trees - Dendrophobia
- Vehicles - Amaxophobia
- Voids - Kenophobia
- Water - Hydrophobia/aquaphobia
- Wind - Ancraophobia
- Wood - Xylophobia/hylophobia
- Words - Logophobia
- Work - Ergophobia/ergasiophobia
- Wounds/injury -Traumatophobia
- Writing - Graphophobia
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Are we doing the right thing? Shaping well-being into the future of our urban communities.
- Assessing health and wellbeing in buildings.
- BRE wellbeing research paper competition.
- Building related illness.
- Changing attitudes towards the mental wellbeing of early career Architectural Technology professionals.
- Engineering hoaxes.
- Human comfort in buildings.
- Overcoming imposter syndrome.
- Sick building syndrome.
- Tackling mental health in the workplace.
- Tackling mental health issues in construction.
- TG10 2016 At a glance, wellbeing.
- Thermal comfort and wellbeing.
- Wellbeing considerations for property managers.
- WELL and BREEAM align.
- WELL Building Standard.
- What we know about wellbeing.
Featured articles and news
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.