- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Dec 2018
Changes to Approved Document B following the Hackitt review
On 18 December 2018, following the announcement of the Implementation Plan for the Hackitt review recommendations (Building a safer future: an implementation plan), the government issued a number of other documents related to Approved Document B on the first anniversary of the publication of Dame Judith Hackitt’s interim report:
- The government has now formally responded to the consultation on amendments to statutory guidance on assessments in lieu of tests in Approved Document B, and this response can be accessed here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/765700/Assessments_in_lieu_of_tests_-_government_response.pdf
- In association with this response, the Government has published an impact assessment in relation to amendments to statutory guidance on assessments in lieu of tests in Approved Document B, which can be accessed here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/765619/Assessments_in_lieu_of_tests_-_Impact_Assessment.pdf
- The government has also published amendments to Approved Document B – volume 1 – dwelling houses, which can be accessed here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf
- Updated volume 2, for buildings other than dwelling houses can be accessed from here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/441669/BR_PDF_AD_B2_2013.pdf
A circular has also been issued, which draws attention to the changes made to Approved Document B. The circular and the covering letter can be found on the links below:
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Analysis: Is Hackitt a turning point for the profession?
- Approved document B.
- Building a safer future: an implementation plan.
- Grenfell Tower articles.
- Grenfell Tower Fire.
- Grenfell Tower independent expert advisory panel
- Grenfell Tower industry response group.
- Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
- Grenfell Tower working group.
- Hackitt review of the building regulations and fire safety, final report.
- Independent review of the building regulations and fire safety.
- ICE Grenfell Tower review.
- Joint Competent Authority.
Featured articles and news
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Interfacing with facilities management.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.
Whilst apparently confusing, German conservation is actually not that different.
The rise and fall of council housing. Book review.
Drivers of change in global heating markets.
11 interesting facts about the use and nature of the material.