To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
Their role might include:
- Defining, planning and managing the development of a construction project.
- Applying building science and technology to architectural and construction projects.
- Developing and advising on innovative solutions.
- Managing and co-ordinating the detailed design process, specification and materials selection.
- Producing documentation for statutory approvals.
- Preparing production information.
- Obtaining and evaluating tenders.
- Ensuring compliance with requirements.
- Undertaking inspections.
- Contract administration.
- Assessing performance in use.
The lead qualifying body for architectural technologists and architectural technicians in the UK is the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT). Qualifications available from CIAT include; Chartered Architectural Technologists (MCIAT), and professionally qualified Architectural Technicians (TCIAT).
Becoming a Chartered Architectural Technologist requires a CIAT accredited honours degree or equivalent in architectural technology, or alternatively, an equivalent honours degree in a built environment subject.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Architects Registration Board.
- Architectural education.
- Architectural technician.
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists
- Chartered Institute of Building.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- The history of the architectural profession.
 External references
Featured articles and news
This unique Brutalist-era car park just off Oxford Street is soon to be demolished.
How to utilise technology in construction projects and what benefits will it bring?
Have a look at Thomas Heatherwick's new building, one he calls 'the tubiest in the world'.
Artificial intelligence will have a significant impact on the built environment, according to a new survey by ICE.
Construction is often seen as too traditional, lacking innovation and collaboration. But are these perceptions fair?
Designing Buildings Wiki attended CIAT's Architectural Technology Awards 2017. Find out the winners here.
BSI make revisions to BS 5839-1 for fire detection and fire alarm systems in commercial buildings.
An introductory article to the change control procedure for building design and construction.
Only weeks after his Garden Bridge is scrapped, Thomas Heatherwick's plan for Pier 55 in New York is abandoned.
British Land are given planning permission for their £300m extension of Meadowhall shopping centre.
30 years ago, Walter Segal's radical self-builders completed Walters Way. We talked to the author of a new book about the project, and its influence on self-build today.
This article has a look at the top 10 most expensive construction projects in the world.