- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Jul 2018
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
Their role might include:
- Defining, planning and managing the development of a construction project.
- Applying building science and technology to architectural and construction projects.
- Developing and advising on innovative solutions.
- Managing and co-ordinating the detailed design process, specification and materials selection.
- Producing documentation for statutory approvals.
- Preparing production information.
- Obtaining and evaluating tenders.
- Ensuring compliance with requirements.
- Undertaking inspections.
- Contract administration.
- Assessing performance in use.
The lead qualifying body for architectural technologists and architectural technicians in the UK is the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT). Qualifications available from CIAT include; Chartered Architectural Technologists (MCIAT), and professionally qualified Architectural Technicians (TCIAT).
Becoming a Chartered Architectural Technologist requires a CIAT accredited honours degree or equivalent in architectural technology, or alternatively, an equivalent honours degree in a built environment subject.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Architects Registration Board.
- Architectural education.
- Architectural technician.
- Architectural technologist - delineation of roles.
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists
- Chartered Institute of Building.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- The history of the architectural profession.
 External references
Featured articles and news
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.
The machinery used to fashion stone has changed dramatically - and so have the products.
This type of pile provides support to the building, as well as acting as a heat source and a heat sink.
Why investors are adopting the SDGs and why civil engineering could be crucial for delivering them.
Read about all the winners from the London ceremony of CIAT's 2018 Architectural Technology Awards.
How do you find the right stone to conserve historic buildings?
Appointment agreements often include a ‘scope of services’ setting out the consultant's performance on a project.
BSRIA study shows an increase of pre-terminated fibre connectivity.