- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Apr 2019
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
Their role might include:
- Defining, planning and managing the development of a construction project.
- Applying building science and technology to architectural and construction projects.
- Developing and advising on innovative solutions.
- Managing and co-ordinating the detailed design process, specification and materials selection.
- Producing documentation for statutory approvals.
- Preparing production information.
- Obtaining and evaluating tenders.
- Ensuring compliance with requirements.
- Undertaking inspections.
- Contract administration.
- Assessing performance in use.
The lead qualifying body for architectural technologists and architectural technicians in the UK is the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT). Qualifications available from CIAT include; Chartered Architectural Technologists (MCIAT), and professionally qualified Architectural Technicians (TCIAT).
Becoming a Chartered Architectural Technologist requires a CIAT accredited honours degree or equivalent in architectural technology, or alternatively, an equivalent honours degree in a built environment subject.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Architects Registration Board.
- Architectural education.
- Architectural technician.
- Architectural technologist - delineation of roles.
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists
- Chartered Institute of Building.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Project architect.
- School of Architectural Technology.
- The history of the architectural profession.
- Year-out student.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Coping with the loss of local authority conservation services.
Remedial works could save the NHS £95 million a year.
One of Europe’s largest waterfront transformations.
How BIM was used to produce an information model of a home.
Skyscrapers of the future will be built of wood.
How to increase your chances of winning.
Benefits, not cost, should be the focus.
Formula E drives electric vehicle market forward.
Moorfields building sets UK pile-loading record.