To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
Their role might include:
- Defining, planning and managing the development of a construction project.
- Applying building science and technology to architectural and construction projects.
- Developing and advising on innovative solutions.
- Managing and co-ordinating the detailed design process, specification and materials selection.
- Producing documentation for statutory approvals.
- Preparing production information.
- Obtaining and evaluating tenders.
- Ensuring compliance with requirements.
- Undertaking inspections.
- Contract administration.
- Assessing performance in use.
Architectural technologists may establish their own practice, offering a full range of building design and management services,discipline organisation.
The lead qualifying body for architectural technologists and architectural technicians in the UK is the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT). Qualifications available from CIAT include; Chartered Architectural Technologists (MCIAT), and professionally qualified Architectural Technicians (TCIAT).
Becoming a Chartered Architectural Technologist requires a CIAT accredited honours degree or equivalent in architectural technology, or alternatively, an equivalent honours degree in a built environment subject.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Architects Registration Board.
- Architectural education.
- Architectural technician.
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists
- Chartered Institute of Building.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- The history of the architectural profession.
 External references
Featured articles and news
RIAS criticise the transfer of responsibility from construction professionals to other parties less involved with the design process.
Take a look at this new music/arts centre in Calgary, with subtle curves and a skybridge.
Building Automation and Control Systems (BACS) market in North America continues to grow.
Frank Lloyd Wright's last major project, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the Surface Design Show and spoke with 2 leading figures in natural stone and hotel design.
How can data from homes help plan smarter cities?
CIOB launch new toolkit to help tackle modern day slavery in construction.
Have a read of our introductory article on bored piles.
Have a look at this striking new 'H-shaped' office building in China.
Read about the pile foundation solutions BAUER have delivered for Battersea Power Station.
As it's Valentine's Day, read the story of this 'labour of love' castle built on Heart Island.
An introductory guide to the project team for building design and construction.