To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
The role of an architectural technician might include:
- Defining and investigating technical aspects of the brief.
- Collecting necessary technical information.
- Researching and providing advice on the use of products, processes and technology.
- Researching and providing advice on legislation.
- Developing and co-ordinating construction details.
- Developing innovative solutions.
- Preparing applications for statutory approvals.
- Preparing specifications.
- Seeking tenders.
- Undertaking site visits.
Architectural technicians may establish their own practice providing services to other built environment professionals, or work within an architectural or multi-discipline practice as part of a design team.
The lead qualifying body for architectural technologists and architectural technicians in the UK is the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT). Architectural technicians can be accredited as professionally qualified architectural technicians (TCIAT) by CIAT. A higher diploma (HND) or foundation degree or equivalent in architectural technology or a built environment subject is required to become a professionally qualified architectural technician.
Further training can lead to accreditation as chartered architectural technologist (MCIAT).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Architects Registration Board.
- Architectural education.
- Architectural technologist.
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists.
- Chartered Institute of Building.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- The history of the architectural profession.
 External references
Featured articles and news
This Australian robotics firm have developed a bricklaying machine capable of building a house in 3 days.
20bn devices will be online by 2020, generating huge volumes of information. Is society making the most of this rich data?
Built over a period of 632 years, Cologne Cathedral is considered one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture.
UandI adds £1.5bn to development pipeline.
Here are 5 things leaders can do to create a truly circular economy.
Find out about the different types of delays on construction projects.
Researchers at Wien university have developed new system to create an inflatable concrete structure.
ICE responds to the first consultation on the government's industrial strategy post-Brexit.
Take a look at this newly-opened tower in Chicago with a remarkable 20:1 height-to-base ratio.
An Arc de Triomphe for the late-20th century, the La Grande Arche of Paris.
The principles, practice and formwork of one of the most important components of modern architecture.