- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Jun 2020
The role of an architectural technician might include:
- Defining and investigating technical aspects of the brief.
- Collecting necessary technical information.
- Researching and providing advice on the use of products, processes and technology.
- Researching and providing advice on legislation.
- Developing and co-ordinating construction details.
- Developing innovative solutions.
- Preparing applications for statutory approvals.
- Preparing specifications.
- Seeking tenders.
- School of Architectural Technology.
- Undertaking site visits.
Architectural technicians may establish their own practice providing services to other built environment professionals, or work within an architectural or multi-discipline practice as part of a design team.
The lead qualifying body for architectural technologists and architectural technicians in the UK is the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT). Architectural technicians can be accredited as professionally qualified architectural technicians (TCIAT) by CIAT. A higher diploma (HND) or foundation degree or equivalent in architectural technology or a built environment subject is required to become a professionally qualified architectural technician.
NB In 2019, The Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT) announced that the Architectural Technician grade, TCIAT will be withdrawn from the Institute’s membership structure on 31 December 2021. Ref https://ciat.org.uk/resource/withdrawal-of-technician-membership.html
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Architects Registration Board.
- Architectural assistant.
- Architectural design.
- Architectural education.
- Architectural technologist.
- Architectural Technology in Germany
- Architectural technology, wellbeing and COVID-19.
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists.
- Chartered Institute of Building.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- The history of the architectural profession.
- Year-out student.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.