To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
The role of an architectural technician might include:
- Defining and investigating technical aspects of the brief.
- Collecting necessary technical information.
- Researching and providing advice on the use of products, processes and technology.
- Researching and providing advice on legislation.
- Developing and co-ordinating construction details.
- Developing innovative solutions.
- Preparing applications for statutory approvals.
- Preparing specifications.
- Seeking tenders.
- Undertaking site visits.
Architectural technicians may establish their own practice providing services to other built environment professionals, or work within an architectural or multi-discipline practice as part of a design team.
The lead qualifying body for architectural technologists and architectural technicians in the UK is the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT). Architectural technicians can be accredited as professionally qualified architectural technicians (TCIAT) by CIAT. A higher diploma (HND) or foundation degree or equivalent in architectural technology or a built environment subject is required to become a professionally qualified architectural technician.
Further training can lead to accreditation as chartered architectural technologist (MCIAT).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Architects Registration Board.
- Architectural education.
- Architectural technologist.
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists.
- Chartered Institute of Building.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- The history of the architectural profession.
 External references
Featured articles and news
UK-GBC green paper proposes more powers for cities on new-build housing.
The Pompidou Centre – not a monument but an event.
The Chartered Institute of Building restructures and launches 29 new local hubs.
Designing Buildings Wiki talks to the founder of the world's first indoor biophilic gym, now open in London.
£1.3bn Swansea Bay project to be backed as a 'pathfinder' for other tidal lagoon projects.
Designs released for a proposed Las Vegas stadium to entice the Oakland Raiders.
Have a look at these award-winning concept designs for a thermal bath in Latvia.
Flagship project no longer "a going concern" according to the Garden Bridge Trust as funding slows.
How the work of 20th century urbanist Jane Jacobs continues to resonate in light of the government's garden village plans.
New landmark for the Ecuadorean capital of Quito utilises a sinuous facade mold system.
Have a look at this glass piano and violin building in China.