- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Apr 2019
Approved Document G
- What qualifies as ‘building work’ and so falls under the control of the regulations.
- What types of buildings are exempt.
- The notification procedures that must be followed when starting, carrying out, and completing building work.
- Requirements for specific aspects of building design and construction.
Approved Document G (Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency) provides guidance on:
- G1: Cold water supply.
- G2: Water efficiency.
- G3: Hot water supply and systems.
- G4: Sanitary conveniences and washing facilities.
- G5: Bathrooms.
- G6: Food preparation areas.
- Appendix A: Water efficiency calculator for new dwellings.
- Appendix B: Wholesome water.
The 2015 edition of Approved Document G includes new water efficiency requirements and introduces an ‘optional’ standard of 110 litres/person/day where required by planning permission, and an alternative fittings-based approach to demonstrating compliance. It also includes a water-efficiency calculation methodology for new dwellings.
The 2015 edition replaced the amended 2010 edition on 1 October 2015. The amended 2010 edition will continue to apply to work started before 1 October 2015 or work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before that date.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Achieving sustainable clean water infrastructure for all.
- Approved documents.
- Approved Document H.
- Bathroom definition.
- Building regulations.
- Earth closet.
- ECA Water Scheme.
- Hot water.
- Passive water efficiency measures.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- Sanitary accommodation.
- Types of water.
- Water closet.
- Water consumption.
Featured articles and news
The importance of emergency planning.
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.