- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 17 Nov 2021
Approved Document G
- What qualifies as ‘building work’ and so falls under the control of the regulations.
- What types of buildings are exempt.
- The notification procedures that must be followed when starting, carrying out, and completing building work.
- Requirements for specific aspects of building design and construction.
Approved Document G (Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency) provides guidance on:
- G1: Cold water supply.
- G2: Water efficiency.
- G3: Hot water supply and systems.
- G4: Sanitary conveniences and washing facilities.
- G5: Bathrooms.
- G6: Food preparation areas.
- Appendix A: Water efficiency calculator for new dwellings.
- Appendix B: Wholesome water.
The 2015 edition of Approved Document G includes new water efficiency requirements and introduces an ‘optional’ standard of 110 litres/person/day where required by planning permission, and an alternative fittings-based approach to demonstrating compliance. It also includes a water-efficiency calculation methodology for new dwellings.
The 2015 edition replaced the amended 2010 edition on 1 October 2015. The amended 2010 edition will continue to apply to work started before 1 October 2015 or work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before that date.
- Achieving sustainable clean water infrastructure for all.
- A guide to installing thermostatic mixing valves: what, why and how.
- Approved documents.
- Approved Document H.
- Bathroom definition.
- Building regulations.
- Earth closet.
- ECA Water Scheme.
- Hot water.
- Hot water safety.
- Non-wholesome water.
- Passive water efficiency measures.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- Sanitary accommodation.
- Types of sanitary appliances.
- Types of water.
- Water closet.
- Water consumption.
- Water meter.
Featured articles and news
IHBC responds to PDR and defence infrastructure development.
Final report proposes improvements for UK-wide transport infrastructure.
The decarbonisation transition has begun.
Can smart homes take care of their occupants?
A showcase of She ethnic culture.
CIOB creates charter and publishes special report.
Response submitted by IHBC.
Designed to accommodate flooding or waterway traffic.
ECA states concerns over the Government's disparate plans.