- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 24 Aug 2021
Approved Document G
- What qualifies as ‘building work’ and so falls under the control of the regulations.
- What types of buildings are exempt.
- The notification procedures that must be followed when starting, carrying out, and completing building work.
- Requirements for specific aspects of building design and construction.
Approved Document G (Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency) provides guidance on:
- G1: Cold water supply.
- G2: Water efficiency.
- G3: Hot water supply and systems.
- G4: Sanitary conveniences and washing facilities.
- G5: Bathrooms.
- G6: Food preparation areas.
- Appendix A: Water efficiency calculator for new dwellings.
- Appendix B: Wholesome water.
The 2015 edition of Approved Document G includes new water efficiency requirements and introduces an ‘optional’ standard of 110 litres/person/day where required by planning permission, and an alternative fittings-based approach to demonstrating compliance. It also includes a water-efficiency calculation methodology for new dwellings.
The 2015 edition replaced the amended 2010 edition on 1 October 2015. The amended 2010 edition will continue to apply to work started before 1 October 2015 or work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before that date.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Achieving sustainable clean water infrastructure for all.
- Approved documents.
- Approved Document H.
- Bathroom definition.
- Building regulations.
- Earth closet.
- ECA Water Scheme.
- Hot water.
- Hot water safety.
- Passive water efficiency measures.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- Sanitary accommodation.
- Types of sanitary appliances.
- Types of water.
- Water closet.
- Water consumption.
- Water meter.
Featured articles and news
Counter balanced carriages that are half elevator, half train.
Understanding ethical risks and ensuring ethical behaviour.
A summary of the key announcements.
CIOB response to the Autumn budget.
Training reflects updated guidance in BSRIA BG 29/2021.
Complete list of 2021 winners now available.
Recognising past and present role models for the future.
So why not write something?
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.