- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Jan 2017
Approved Document G
- What qualifies as ‘building work’ and so falls under the control of the regulations.
- What types of buildings are exempt.
- The notification procedures that must be followed when starting, carrying out, and completing building work.
- Requirements for specific aspects of building design and construction.
Approved Document G (Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency) provides guidance on:
- G1: Cold water supply.
- G2: Water efficiency.
- G3: Hot water supply and systems.
- G4: Sanitary conveniences and washing facilities.
- G5: Bathrooms.
- G6: Food preparation areas.
- Appendix A: Water efficiency calculator for new dwellings.
- Appendix B: Wholesome water.
The 2015 edition of Approved Document G includes new water efficiency requirements and introduces an ‘optional’ standard of 110 litres/person/day where required by planning permission, and an alternative fittings-based approach to demonstrating compliance. It also includes a water-efficiency calculation methodology for new dwellings.
The 2015 edition replaced the amended 2010 edition on 1 October 2015. The amended 2010 edition will continue to apply to work started before 1 October 2015 or work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before that date.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.