- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Jan 2017
Approved Document F
- What qualifies as 'building work' and so fall under the control of the regulations.
- What types of buildings are exempt (such as temporary buildings).
- The notification procedures that must be followed when starting, carrying out, and completing building work.
- Requirements for specific aspects of building design and construction.
The 'approved documents' provide guidance for how the building regulations can be satisfied in common building situations. There is no obligation to adopt the solutions presented in the approved documents, the building regulations can be satisfied in other ways.
Approved Document F: Ventilation, was last published in 2015.
It includes standards for ventilation and air quality for all buildings. It also covers requirements for the prevention of condensation. The types of ventilation covered includes, mechanical, passive stack, background and purge (rapid).
The content of the Approved Document includes:
- Section 4: Introduction to the provisions – Includes guidance on performance, the purpose and types of ventilation, ventilation strategy, control of ventilation, installation, fire precautions, and so on.
- Section 5: New dwellings – Includes guidance on ventilation rates, ventilation systems for dwellings with and without basements, and so on.
- Section 6: New buildings other than dwellings – Includes guidance on maintenance access, offices, car parks, and so on.
- Section 7: Work on existing buildings – Includes guidance on adding habitable rooms, wet rooms, conservatory, kitchen or bathroom.
- Section 8: Standards and other publications.
- Annex A: Performance-based ventilation.
- Annex B: Purge ventilation.
- Annex C: Example calculations for ventilation sizings for dwellings.
- Annex D: Minimising ingress of external pollution into buildings in urban areas.
It is supported by the Domestic Ventilation Compliance Guide, which provides detailed guidance about the installation, inspection, testing, commissioning and provision of information when installing fixed ventilation systems in new and existing dwellings.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The types, causes and measurement of damp in buildings.
The new NEC4 contract creates a true procurement alliance arrangement for all stakeholders.
Andrew Strauss talks about performance and team building at the 2018 BSRIA Briefing.
Applications have to be in by the end of the week.
Reflections on the 5th Annual Global Congress of Knowledge Economy, held in Qingdao, China.
An artist finds ruined and decaying buildings a source of inspiration for his work. Book review.
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.