- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Jun 2019
Approved Document F
- What qualifies as 'building work' and so fall under the control of the regulations.
- What types of buildings are exempt (such as temporary buildings).
- The notification procedures that must be followed when starting, carrying out, and completing building work.
- Requirements for specific aspects of building design and construction.
The 'approved documents' provide guidance for how the building regulations can be satisfied in common building situations. There is no obligation to adopt the solutions presented in the approved documents, the building regulations can be satisfied in other ways.
Approved Document F: Ventilation, was last published in 2015.
It includes standards for ventilation and air quality for all buildings. It also covers requirements for the prevention of condensation. The types of ventilation covered includes, mechanical, passive stack, background and purge (rapid).
The content of the Approved Document includes:
- Section 4: Introduction to the provisions – Includes guidance on performance, the purpose and types of ventilation, ventilation strategy, control of ventilation, installation, fire precautions, and so on.
- Section 5: New dwellings – Includes guidance on ventilation rates, ventilation systems for dwellings with and without basements, and so on.
- Section 6: New buildings other than dwellings – Includes guidance on maintenance access, offices, car parks, and so on.
- Section 7: Work on existing buildings – Includes guidance on adding habitable rooms, wet rooms, conservatory, kitchen or bathroom.
- Section 8: Standards and other publications.
- Annex A: Performance-based ventilation.
- Annex B: Purge ventilation.
- Annex C: Example calculations for ventilation sizings for dwellings.
- Annex D: Minimising ingress of external pollution into buildings in urban areas.
It is supported by the Domestic Ventilation Compliance Guide, which provides detailed guidance about the installation, inspection, testing, commissioning and provision of information when installing fixed ventilation systems in new and existing dwellings.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Framework examines social value of projects.
RfX or Request for [fill in the blank].
Organisation establishes Equality, Diversity, Inclusion taskforce.
Government announces plans for new building projects.
Outsourcing method to procure and manage supplies.
Joint support of Local Authority Historic Environment and Conservation Services.
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is an outstanding achievement.
Buildings of the interwar years. Book review.
Ireland’s climate change sectoral adaptation plan.
Rethinking the acoustics of the office.
Various deterrent measures can help managers deal with avian problems.
Groups send message to government.
Mark Beard FCIOB shares thoughts on changes in the construction industry.
The three layers in modern laminates have specific functions.
The CIOB and UK BIM Alliance announce formal affiliation.