- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Jan 2017
Whole building ventilation
‘…nominally continuous ventilation of rooms or spaces at a relatively low rate to dilute and remove pollutants and water vapour not removed by the operation of extract ventilation, purge ventilation or infiltration, as well as supplying outdoor air into the building. For an individual dwelling this is referred to as ‘whole dwelling ventilation’.’
- Extract ventilation is, ‘…. The removal of air directly from a space or spaces to the outside. Extract ventilation may be by natural means (e.g. by passive stack ventilation) or by mechanical means (e.g. by an extract fan or central system).’
- Purge ventilation is, ‘…manually controlled ventilation of rooms or spaces at a relatively high rate to rapidly dilute pollutants and/or water vapour. Purge ventilation may be provided by natural means (e.g. an openable window) or be mechanical means (e.g. a fan).’
- Infiltration is, ‘… the uncontrolled exchange of air between inside a buildings and outside through cracks, porosity and other unintentional openings in a building, caused by pressure difference effects of the wind and/or stack effect.
Whole building ventilation might be provided by background ventilators, as illustrated below.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Air conditioning.
- Air infiltration testing.
- Approved Document F.
- Background ventilator.
- Cross ventilation.
- Displacement ventilation.
- Domestic ventilation systems performance.
- Heat recovery ventilation.
- Mechanical ventilation.
- Natural ventilation.
- Passive building design.
- Solar chimney.
- Stack effect.
Featured articles and news
The Isle of Man’s naturally-occurring materials and distinctive building techniques.
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.