- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Mar 2018
Alkali-activated binders for precast and ready-mixed concrete products: A route map to standardisation, certification and guidance
On 30 June 2016 BRE published Alkali-activated binders for precast and ready-mixed concrete products: A route map to standardisation, certification and guidance, an information paper written by Andrew Dunster and David Gall.
According to the paper, approximately 5% of human-generated CO2 emissions result from cement production. There is a need to develop alternative, low-carbon cements and binders that are suitable for use at scale in concrete production. Alkali-activated binders (AA binders) and concretes produce less CO2 in their manufacture than conventional Portland cement (PC).
To facilitate this change, the standardisation and certification of AA binders and concretes will be necessary, however, most of the world’s cement and concrete standards are underpinned by BS EN 197 and ASTM C150/C595/C1157, both of which are based around PC. Supporting guidance, experience in use and codes of practice are needed underpin the wider acceptance of AA binders as construction materials.
This information paper summarises the current position from a UK perspective and provides support for those developing, adopting and utilising AA binders. It is intended to inform purchasers and specifiers of concrete and concrete products and those with a wider interest in the procurement of sustainable construction products.
The contents of the report are:
- -Cement and concrete standards: the global context.
- -Alkali-activated binders.
- -British and European Standards for concrete.
- -Alkali-activated binders, standards and CE marking.
- -Demonstration of compliance/declaration of performance of alkali-activated binders.
- Potential routes to standardisation, certification and guidance for alkali-activated binder concrete products and binder systems.
- -Standards, specifications and third-party certification.
- -Alkali-activated binders: the need for supplementary guidance documents.
- Code and standard requirements for alkali-activated binders: a longer-term view.
- Further reading.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Alkali-activated binders for precast and ready-mixed concrete products: New supply chains, business models and environmental benefits.
- Alkali-aggregate reaction (AAR).
- Applications, performance characteristics and environmental benefits of alkali-activated binder concretes.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building Research Establishment.
- High alumina cement.
- Research on novel cements to reduce CO2 emissions.
- Sustainable materials.
Featured articles and news
Three different approaches to building quality homes in urban settings.
Leaving suburbia for exurbia.
Hilton Tallinn Park in Estonia completes sustainable renovation.
Sleeper walls support many projects.
Discover the hidden history of pocket doors.
PwC reports on post-pandemic predictions from executives.
Insight for those entering the field of engineering.
A tool borrowed from statistics and applied to construction procurement.
Reports and factsheets for 2018, 2019 released.
Finding the right landscape maintenance contractor.
Aspects of daylighting design covered by EN 17037.