- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Mar 2018
Alkali-activated binders for precast and ready-mixed concrete products: A route map to standardisation, certification and guidance
On 30 June 2016 BRE published Alkali-activated binders for precast and ready-mixed concrete products: A route map to standardisation, certification and guidance, an information paper written by Andrew Dunster and David Gall.
According to the paper, approximately 5% of human-generated CO2 emissions result from cement production. There is a need to develop alternative, low-carbon cements and binders that are suitable for use at scale in concrete production. Alkali-activated binders (AA binders) and concretes produce less CO2 in their manufacture than conventional Portland cement (PC).
To facilitate this change, the standardisation and certification of AA binders and concretes will be necessary, however, most of the world’s cement and concrete standards are underpinned by BS EN 197 and ASTM C150/C595/C1157, both of which are based around PC. Supporting guidance, experience in use and codes of practice are needed underpin the wider acceptance of AA binders as construction materials.
This information paper summarises the current position from a UK perspective and provides support for those developing, adopting and utilising AA binders. It is intended to inform purchasers and specifiers of concrete and concrete products and those with a wider interest in the procurement of sustainable construction products.
The contents of the report are:
- -Cement and concrete standards: the global context.
- -Alkali-activated binders.
- -British and European Standards for concrete.
- -Alkali-activated binders, standards and CE marking.
- -Demonstration of compliance/declaration of performance of alkali-activated binders.
- Potential routes to standardisation, certification and guidance for alkali-activated binder concrete products and binder systems.
- -Standards, specifications and third-party certification.
- -Alkali-activated binders: the need for supplementary guidance documents.
- Code and standard requirements for alkali-activated binders: a longer-term view.
- Further reading.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Alkali-activated binders for precast and ready-mixed concrete products: New supply chains, business models and environmental benefits.
- Alkali-aggregate reaction (AAR).
- Applications, performance characteristics and environmental benefits of alkali-activated binder concretes.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building Research Establishment.
- High alumina cement.
- Research on novel cements to reduce CO2 emissions.
- Sustainable materials.
Featured articles and news
If it is not planned properly even simple a activity can kill.
A disgruntled or ignored stakeholder can easily derail your hard work.
Next generation cementitious materials
Still going strong...one of the great buildings of the 20th century.
Review of the bible for heritage assets and their management.
The David Lloyd Lymington Sports Village was 'Commended' in CIAT's 2018 AT Awards.
How do we make the smart city a reality?
Sir Nicholas Grimshaw has been awarded the UK’s highest honour for architecture.
Protecting the construction industry from Brexit.
Conceiving buildings collaboratively, testing them virtually.
Effective collaboration in post-disaster response and recovery