- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 28 Jan 2021
Alkali-activated binders for precast and ready-mixed concrete products: A route map to standardisation, certification and guidance
On 30 June 2016 BRE published Alkali-activated binders for precast and ready-mixed concrete products: A route map to standardisation, certification and guidance, an information paper written by Andrew Dunster and David Gall.
According to the paper, approximately 5% of human-generated CO2 emissions result from cement production. There is a need to develop alternative, low-carbon cements and binders that are suitable for use at scale in concrete production. Alkali-activated binders (AA binders) and concretes produce less CO2 in their manufacture than conventional Portland cement (PC).
To facilitate this change, the standardisation and certification of AA binders and concretes will be necessary, however, most of the world’s cement and concrete standards are underpinned by BS EN 197 and ASTM C150/C595/C1157, both of which are based around PC. Supporting guidance, experience in use and codes of practice are needed underpin the wider acceptance of AA binders as construction materials.
This information paper summarises the current position from a UK perspective and provides support for those developing, adopting and utilising AA binders. It is intended to inform purchasers and specifiers of concrete and concrete products and those with a wider interest in the procurement of sustainable construction products.
The contents of the report are:
- -Cement and concrete standards: the global context.
- -Alkali-activated binders.
- -British and European Standards for concrete.
- -Alkali-activated binders, standards and CE marking.
- -Demonstration of compliance/declaration of performance of alkali-activated binders.
- Potential routes to standardisation, certification and guidance for alkali-activated binder concrete products and binder systems.
- -Standards, specifications and third-party certification.
- -Alkali-activated binders: the need for supplementary guidance documents.
- Code and standard requirements for alkali-activated binders: a longer-term view.
- Further reading.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Alkali-activated binders for precast and ready-mixed concrete products: New supply chains, business models and environmental benefits.
- Alkali-aggregate reaction (AAR).
- Applications, performance characteristics and environmental benefits of alkali-activated binder concretes.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building Research Establishment.
- High alumina cement.
- Research on novel cements to reduce CO2 emissions.
- Sustainable materials.
Featured articles and news
So why not write something?
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.