BREEAM UK Non-domestic New Construction 2018 manual
 Issue 1.0
 Consultation Period
In September 2017, the DRAFT technical manual for the BREEAM UK Non-domestic New Construction 2018 manual was opened to comments.
The launch of the DRAFT scheme marks the end of a 12-month process of intense consultation and technical development. Over the last 12 months, the team have been working hard to deliver a DRAFT manual which we hope represents another step change in BREEAM, to continue to reflect best practice and drive the industry to innovate.
BREEAM have scrutinised every issue in the manual, asking questions like; ‘is this still relevant?’ ‘Does this still represent best practice?’ ‘Does the criteria deliver the intended outcome?', and many more. This enabled the development of proposals for what is thought needs to change.
From December 2016 to April 2017, BREEAM then went through a period of consultation to test these proposals, which included an online survey and a series of workshops with a wide range of stakeholder groups. The response from the industry was amazing, with almost 300 responses to the online survey.
All those comments were then tirelessly reviewed and considered by the team, which ultimately then fed into what is now the live DRAFT manual, ready for further comments.
The draft manual can be downloaded from here, where you will also find details on how to feedback.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BREEAM associate online training.
- BREEAM In-Use International.
- BREEAM USA.
- BREEAM: Value multiplies while costs plummet.
- Performance in use.
- Roof insulation.
- Ska rating.
- Strategic ecology framework SEF.
- WELL and BREEAM align.
Issue support documents
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. They are not scheme specific so they aim to be applicable to that issue in any scheme but individual scheme nuances may be expressed within each article. More info.
All these articles are dynamic and so welcome additions and improvements to all especially those marked (ac) = awaiting content.
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning (ac)
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation (ac)
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Acoustic performance (ac)
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems (ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities (ac)
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water monitoring (ac)
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Operational waste (ac)
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.