- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Feb 2020
Wuhan Hospital, China
Images of a timelapse were spread all over social media and news outlets in February 2020 as China built a new hospital facility in around 2 weeks 'from scratch'. News outlets reported that the facility has around a 1,000-bed capacity and was designed, procured and built-in this timescale.
It is more likely that the hospital facility is part of a larger state-run emergency action plan which has been sitting designed on a shelf especially for such an event after the last SARs virus outbreak in China.
Regardless if the modular unit construction or design is included in the timescale, it is still an amazing feat to build such a scale of off-site modular building in such a short space of time, and questions are now being asked about why this is not being implemented across the construction industry. The concept is not new, and the Egan Report and Latham report both attempted to resolve issues with wastage in the construction industry.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Cancer Centre at Guy's Hospital
- Conserving Ruchill Hospital water tower
- Fountaine Hospital Almshouse
- How a Complex Hospital Building for Orthopaedic Services was Constructed in Less Than Four Months
- How to Develop the Most Constrained Hospital Sites to Reduce Waiting Times and Improve Patient Care
- Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
- North Middlesex University Hospital Maternity Unit
- Researching the history of Fountaine Hospital Almshouse
- Sea Sand Tower Hospital Queen Elizabeth, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Featured articles and news
A quick introduction to a very complicated subject.
CIOB suggests the economic reach of construction is double the official figures.
The first US building to achieve BREEAM Outstanding In-Use.
70 buildings from 70 years of Concrete Quarterly. Book review.
Conserving the iron roof at the Albert Dock.
Delivering an infrastructure revolution.
The admissibility of evidence.
How many can you name? 37 anyone?
CIOB respond to the points-based system.
When is the weather considered 'exceptionally adverse'?
ECA backs call for a rolling programme of rail electrification.