- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 16 Nov 2015
Visas for entering Canada
Canada's advanced economy and high living standards attracts a significant immigrant population. There are also ample job opportunities given the skill shortage in this region.
Canadian visa categories include:
- Skilled immigrants (Express Entry).
- Self-employed Persons Program.
- Provincial nominees.
- Quebec-selected skilled workers (or investor or entrepreneur program).
- Start-up visa (for people who have a business idea and someone to fund it).
Sponsorship programs include:
 Skills immigrants
Skilled workers are selected based on their ability to settle in Canada and contribute to the economy. They are assessed based on the following:
- Work Experience.
- English/French Language Skills.
- Other such factors.
This category too is further segregated into sub-categories:
- Federal skilled workers (for applicants with skilled professional work experience).
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (for applicants with experience in skilled manual work).
- Canadian Experience Class (for applicants with in-Canada skilled professional work experience).
The Express Entry System was been launched in January, 2015, to manage how skilled immigrants apply. An applicant first fills the online profile form, including the language test scores, Educational Credential Assessment, and the work experience. Filling and submitting the Express Entry Profile is free. The complete applications received under the Express Entry system are processed within six months.
A self employed person is a foreign national who has relevant experience, can be self employed in Canada and contribute to the economy. The applicant will be selected based on the criteria such as:
- Language abilities.
- Medical and security requirements.
This program is for applicants with a nomination from a province or state in Canada under its agreement with the Government of Canada. Generally an applicant needs to apply directly to a province or territory to be considered under its Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).
Application is in two stages:
- Apply to the province or territory where you want to live. Your application will be reviewed by that province, based on below two aspects:
- Its immigration requirements and
- Whether you really plan to live there.
- Once a province nominates you, you would require applying to CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) for Permanent residence. The CIC officer will review your application based on Canadian rules.
A Study Permit is a printed authorization issued by the concerned officer allowing the foreign students to study in Canada. It becomes invalid 90 days after the study program is completed. The program is considered complete, when a notification is recieved of program completion from teh educational institution. A letter of acceptance is needed before applying for a work permit
 Quebec-selected skilled workers (or investor or entrepreneur program):
The province of Quebec has an agreement with the Government of Canada for the selection of immigrants outside Canada as per the province skill requirement.
Application is in two stages:
- Apply to the Quebec government for a certificate of selection. This will confirm that Quebec has accepted an immigrant.
- After Quebec selects and immigrant, they must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence.
This applies to individuals who have a business idea as well as someone to fund it. In order to be able to receive a start-up visa, applicants must:
- Meet the language proficiency requirements.
- Prove the Business scheme or idea is being supported by a selected Organisation.
- Have a sufficient arrangement of funds.
If you are 18 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada under the Family Class. The relatives can be:
- Your dependent child (this includes an adopted child) or
- Your spouse,
- Your conjugal or common-law partner,
- Other eligible relatives.
If your family member can become a permanent resident, they can live, work and study in Canada.
The Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program helps huge number of refugees every year. You can sponsor the refugees from other countries who are able to qualify to come to Canada. However, as a sponsor it will be your responsibility to provide the financial as well as the emotional support to your sponsored refugees for the duration of sponsorship. The support includes clothing, accommodation, food and other such vital things.
 Caregiver program
An applicant can apply under this particular category in three ways:
- Caring for Children Pathway.
- Live-in Caregiver Program.
- Caring for People with High Medical Nees Pathway.
 Caring for Children Pathway
Applies to the caregivers who have provided child care in a home. The permanent Residency can be applied through this pathway.
 Live-in Caregiver Program
For both live-in caregivers who are already working in Canada with a Live-in Caregiver Program work permit, as well as for the caregivers who are approved for their first Live-in Caregiver Program work permit based on an employer's positive Labour Market Impact Assessment application that was submitted to Service Canada on or before November 30, 2014.
 Caring for the individuals with High Medical Needs Pathway
Makes those caregivers eligible for permanent residence, who have provided care for the elderly or those with disabilities or chronic disease in a Hospital or in a home.
Featured articles and news
New report provides 12 key actions which could close the structural talent gap in the construction industry.
These can be used to find out whether a proposed development is likely to be approved. Read more here.
Studying a built environment degree? Check out our helpful student resources section.
New BRE research paper explores how blockchain technology can benefit the built environment industry.
Timber is a natural carbon sink, but it must not end up in landfill at the end of its useful life.
BSRIA has collaborated with the Department of Health on research into air permeability in isolation rooms.
New step-by-step route maps for implementing effective surface water management measures are published.
GMP is an agreement with a contractor that the contract sum will not exceed a specified maximum. Read more here.
The BREEAM Sustainability Champion is changing to the Advisory Professional - here's what you need to know.
A fresh round of job-cuts takes the total number of redundancies to over 1,000.