- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 24 Jan 2021
Visas for entering Canada
Canadian visa categories include:
- Skilled immigrants (Express Entry).
- Self-employed Persons Program.
- Provincial nominees.
- Quebec-selected skilled workers (or investor or entrepreneur program).
- Start-up visa (for people who have a business idea and someone to fund it).
This category too is further segregated into sub-categories:
- Federal skilled workers (for applicants with skilled professional work experience).
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (for applicants with experience in skilled manual work).
- Canadian Experience Class (for applicants with in-Canada skilled professional work experience).
The Express Entry System was been launched in January, 2015, to manage how skilled immigrants apply. An applicant first fills the online profile form, including the language test scores, Educational Credential Assessment, and the work experience. Filling and submitting the Express Entry Profile is free. The complete applications received under the Express Entry system are processed within six months.
This program is for applicants with a nomination from a province or state in Canada under its agreement with the Government of Canada. Generally an applicant needs to apply directly to a province or territory to be considered under its Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).
Application is in two stages:
- Apply to the province or territory where you want to live. Your application will be reviewed by that province, based on below two aspects:
- Its immigration requirements and
- Whether you really plan to live there.
- Once a province nominates you, you would require applying to CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) for Permanent residence. The CIC officer will review your application based on Canadian rules.
 Study in Canada
A Study Permit is a printed authorization issued by the concerned officer allowing the foreign students to study in Canada. It becomes invalid 90 days after the study program is completed. The program is considered complete, when a notification is recieved of program completion from teh educational institution. A letter of acceptance is needed before applying for a work permit
 Quebec-selected skilled workers (or investor or entrepreneur program):
Application is in two stages:
- Apply to the Quebec government for a certificate of selection. This will confirm that Quebec has accepted an immigrant.
- After Quebec selects and immigrant, they must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence.
- Meet the language proficiency requirements.
- Prove the Business scheme or idea is being supported by a selected Organisation.
- Have a sufficient arrangement of funds.
- Your dependent child (this includes an adopted child) or
- Your spouse,
- Your conjugal or common-law partner,
- Other eligible relatives.
The Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program helps huge number of refugees every year. You can sponsor the refugees from other countries who are able to qualify to come to Canada. However, as a sponsor it will be your responsibility to provide the financial as well as the emotional support to your sponsored refugees for the duration of sponsorship. The support includes clothing, accommodation, food and other such vital things.
An applicant can apply under this particular category in three ways:
- Caring for Children Pathway.
- Live-in Caregiver Program.
- Caring for People with High Medical Nees Pathway.
Applies to the caregivers who have provided child care in a home. The permanent Residency can be applied through this pathway.
For both live-in caregivers who are already working in Canada with a Live-in Caregiver Program work permit, as well as for the caregivers who are approved for their first Live-in Caregiver Program work permit based on an employer's positive Labour Market Impact Assessment application that was submitted to Service Canada on or before November 30, 2014.
Featured articles and news
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report