- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 18 Nov 2020
Uses of wood ash
Wood ash is the powder residue left after the combustion of wood. It can be used for both gardening and around the home. Used in various forms such as dust or paint, it is useful for many areas of the house.
Ash contains phosphorus, potassium, calcium, boron and other elements which contribute to the healthy and strong growing of plants. Its properties make it a highly useful material for cleaning within the interior of buildings, and for the healthy growth of soil in the garden and outside areas.
Wood ash brings numerous benefits for the user:
- Environmentally friendly and child safe.
- Moisture and stain resistant.
- Suitable for all areas of the house including kitchens and hallways.
- Quick drying.
- Can be used for both wood and metal materials.
- Very tough and durable.
There are a wide variety of uses for wood ash:
- Fertilising: Wood ash is an organic fertilizer, enriching agricultural soil nutrition. Through adding potassium and calcium carbonate, it neutralises acidic soils.
- Deterring pests. Wood ash acts as a desiccant, drying up garden pests, so it can be used to keep pests at a distance from the stems and roots of plants.
- Polish silver: Wood ash is a natural polish, and when mixed with water, creates a paste which will both clean and buff silver to shine.
- Cleaning fireplaces: Wood ash is an abrasive and alkaline material which can be used to clean fireplaces effectively.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
IHBC members encouraged to update violations database.
Non-obtrusive security sensors can help deter intruders.
Adopting a fabric first approach to efficiency.
Government emphasises training for construction and engineering trades.
ECA and SELECT offer assistance to members set back by delays.
The virtual learning event examines Historic Places - People Places.
Getting post-pandemic infrastructure on the right track.
One of England's grandest country houses.
Take just two minutes to provide your feedback.
An update of standards and regulations is under consideration.
Exploring the key to the adoption of this abundant energy source.
His clients have ranged from Liberace to St Nick to world-class athletes.