- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Jun 2019
Uses of wood ash
Wood ash is the powder residue left after the combustion of wood. It can be used for both gardening and around the home. Used in various forms such as dust or paint, it is useful for many areas of the house.
Ash contains phosphorus, potassium, calcium, boron and other elements which contribute to the healthy and strong growing of plants. Its properties make it a highly useful material for cleaning within the interior of buildings, and for the healthy growth of soil in the garden and outside areas.
Wood ash brings numerous benefits for the user:
- Environmentally friendly and child safe.
- Moisture and stain resistant.
- Suitable for all areas of the house including kitchens and hallways.
- Quick drying.
- Can be used for both wood and metal materials.
- Very tough and durable.
 Common uses
There are a wide variety of uses for wood ash:
- Fertilising: Wood ash is an organic fertilizer, enriching agricultural soil nutrition. Through adding potassium and calcium carbonate, it neutralises acidic soils.
- Deterring pests. Wood ash acts as a desiccant, drying up garden pests, so it can be used to keep pests at a distance from the stems and roots of plants.
- Polish silver: Wood ash is a natural polish, and when mixed with water, creates a paste which will both clean and buff silver to shine.
- Cleaning fireplaces: Wood ash is an abrasive and alkaline material which can be used to clean fireplaces effectively.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Delivering an infrastructure revolution.
The admissibility of evidence.
How many can you name? 37 anyone?
CIOB respond to the points-based system.
When is the weather considered 'exceptionally adverse'?
ECA backs call for a rolling programme of rail electrification.
What does 'curtilage' mean and why does it matter?
Our duty to prevent harm and protect each other.
A quality perspective.
If buildings were people, they would be just starting to walk on two legs.
Air filtration and clean air standards.