- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Jan 2019
Types of timber
This article presents a list of types of timber used in the construction industry, with links to articles providing further information.
- Cross-laminated timber.
- Engineered bamboo.
- Green timber.
- Laminated veneer lumber LVL.
- Modified wood.
- Oriented strand board.
- Padauk wood.
- Sapele wood.
- Unwrot timber / sawn timber.
- Wood ash.
- Wrot timber (wrought timber / dressed timber / finished timber / planed timber)
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 11 things you didn't know about wood.
- A guide to the use of urban timber FB 50.
- Chip carving.
- Definition of tree for planning purposes.
- Physical Properties of Wood.
- Testing timber.
- The Art of Pyrography.
- The best woods for carving.
- The differences between hardwood and softwood.
- Timber preservation.
- Timber vs wood.
Featured articles and news
Is there light at the end of the tunnel?
A new theory for managing large complex projects.
A new guide to fire safety and security in the selection of doorsets.
Review of the long-awaited discourse on these beautifully produced, colourful wallpapers.
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.