- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Jan 2019
Types of timber
This article presents a list of types of timber used in the construction industry, with links to articles providing further information.
- Cross-laminated timber.
- Engineered bamboo.
- Green timber.
- Laminated veneer lumber LVL.
- Modified wood.
- Oriented strand board.
- Padauk wood.
- Sapele wood.
- Unwrot timber / sawn timber.
- Wood ash.
- Wrot timber (wrought timber / dressed timber / finished timber / planed timber)
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 11 things you didn't know about wood.
- A guide to the use of urban timber FB 50.
- Chip carving.
- Definition of tree for planning purposes.
- Physical Properties of Wood.
- Testing timber.
- The Art of Pyrography.
- The best woods for carving.
- The differences between hardwood and softwood.
- Timber preservation.
- Timber vs wood.
Featured articles and news
Seven steps to defining a digital twin.
Achieving air tightness in buildings.
What are the benefits of smart homes for Millennial end-users?
How dynamic briefing can result in an efficient project.
Achieving sustainable roads funding in England.
Your chance to comment on the draft BS 851188 - flood resistance products and flood protection products.
Rebuilding could take 20 to 40 years.
RSHP’s high-rise residential towers win a tall buildings award for excellence.
BSRIA study reveals strong growth in 2018.
Dame Judith Hackitt confirmed as keynote speaker – one year on from the Hackitt Report.
Save £100 on tickets.
Modern slavery in the construction sector.
What to bear in mind when claiming damages in construction.
How do we achieve sustainable clean-water infrastructure for all?