- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Dec 2018
Types of timber
This article presents a list of types of timber used in the construction industry, with links to articles providing further information.
- Cross-laminated timber.
- Engineered bamboo.
- Green timber.
- Laminated veneer lumber LVL.
- Oriented strand board.
- Padauk wood.
- Sapele wood.
- Unwrot timber / sawn timber.
- Wood ash.
- Wrot timber (wrought timber / dressed timber / finished timber / planed timber)
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 11 things you didn't know about wood.
- A guide to the use of urban timber FB 50.
- Chip carving.
- Definition of tree for planning purposes.
- Physical Properties of Wood.
- Testing timber.
- The Art of Pyrography.
- The best woods for carving.
- The differences between hardwood and softwood.
- Timber preservation.
- Timber vs wood.
Featured articles and news
What should be evaluated to assess building performance?
BIM standards BS 1192:2007+A2:2016 and PAS 1192-2:2013 have been superceded.
What is biophilic design and how can it increase wellbeing?
80 experts come up with the top 7 mistakes the industry makes with BREEAM.
Compliance cannot be verified by inspection on delivery.
Some electric cars have batteries that give a range of over 350 miles.
Assembling, curating, caring for, and designing the future.
A sensitive approach to renovating a building of historic stature.
UK energy policy uncertainty as Welsh project put on hold
What collaborative working achieves and how it can be put in place.
BSRIA publishes the 2019 edition of its small but concise annual databook.
Using QSAND to measure the performance of disaster response.
What U-values are, why they matter and how they are calculated.