- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 26 May 2019
Success criteria for soft landings projects
Success Criteria for Soft Landings Projects (BG74/2019) was written by Martin Roncerey with assistance from Michelle Agha-Hossein and members of the Soft Landings Network. It was published by BSRIA in May 2019.
Soft Landings underpins the delivery of better buildings by establishing the client’s key performance outcome requirements at the start of a project and ensuring the delivery team maintain their focus on those throughout the project from inception to completion and beyond.
This 17-page guide provides a simple and structured approach for setting success criteria on Soft Landings projects. It is aimed at clients and client advisers to enable them to identify success criteria and help them achieve those criteria at the end of the project.
Success criteria are the requirements set at the beginning of a project, against which the project will be evaluated at key stages to decide whether or not it has been successful from the key stakeholders’ point of view. They provide a means to ensure that the needs for the future building will be met and can be monitored throughout the project.
The contents of the guide are:
- Defining the success criteria.
- Monitoring the success criteria.
- Evaluating the success criteria.
- Examples of success criteria.
- Appendix A: Roadmap example.
- Appendix B: Worked example – SEN school building.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BREEAM Aftercare support.
- BSRIA articles.
- BSRIA Soft Landings Awards.
- Building performance evaluation.
- Extended aftercare.
- Initial aftercare.
- Lessons learned report.
- Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology soft landings project.
- Performance in use.
- Post occupancy evaluation.
- Post project review.
- Soft landings - helping clients lead contractors.
- Soft landings and business-focused maintenance.
- Soft Landings and Government Soft Landings - A convergence guide for construction projects.
- Soft landings.
Featured articles and news
Opening up the space below the former Floral Hall.
Why was the Fountaine Hospital Almshouse built in such a sophisticated style?
How do we measure air tightness in buildings?
The Housing Infrastructure Fund
Encouraging access to local amenities and sustainable transport.
Publish your thought leadership articles on Designing Buildings Wiki – for free.
Competence Steering Group publishes interim proposals to deliver safer buildings.
Indoor environments should provide a multi-sensory experience.
We have a great range of introductory articles written by ECA.
7 of the most common myths, busted.