- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Jan 2021
Structural Steel Design Awards 2018
The Structural Steel Design Awards recognise the best examples of ambition and innovation in the built environment. In October 2018, celebrating their 50th year, the Awards continued that great tradition.
The collection of entries once again demonstrates the excellence achievable with the use of steel, as well as structural and architectural design. The judges selected the Award-winning entries from a shortlist of 22, all of which scored highly in terms of efficiency, cost-effectiveness, aesthetics, sustainability and innovation.
- London Bridge Station [see top image]
- Knostrop Weir Foot and Cycle Bridge, Leeds
- Jaguar Land Rover Engine Manufacturing Centre
- V&A's Exhibition Road Quarter, London
- Bloomberg London
- The Ordsall Chord Viaduct
Chairman of the Judges, Chris Nash said; “Again, there has been a pleasing increase in the overall number of entries to the Awards Scheme. Scales of entry range from the largest civil engineering and transport projects, through prestige city office buildings, to smaller community and public buildings and sculptures. While there are fewer residential projects this year, we see an increase in office buildings of high quality and a welcome return of top-end industrial buildings.”
Commendations were awarded to eight projects:
- Two St. Peter's Square, Manchester
- The Greenwich Peninsula Low Carbon Energy Centre
- Four Pancras Square, London
- Brooklands Museum Aircraft Factory and Racetrack Revival
- Belfast Waterfront Conference & Exhibition Centre
- Approach Viaduct South, Queensferry Crossing
- The Beacon of Light, Sunderland
- Somers Town Bridge, London
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.