- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Oct 2018
Structural Steel Design Awards 2018
The Structural Steel Design Awards recognise the best examples of ambition and innovation in the built environment. In October 2018, celebrating their 50th year, the Awards continued that great tradition.
The collection of entries once again demonstrates the excellence achievable with the use of steel, as well as structural and architectural design. The judges selected the Award-winning entries from a shortlist of 22, all of which scored highly in terms of efficiency, cost-effectiveness, aesthetics, sustainability and innovation.
- London Bridge Station [see top image]
- Knostrop Weir Foot and Cycle Bridge, Leeds
- Jaguar Land Rover Engine Manufacturing Centre
- V&A's Exhibition Road Quarter, London
- Bloomberg London
- The Ordsall Chord Viaduct
Chairman of the Judges, Chris Nash said; “Again, there has been a pleasing increase in the overall number of entries to the Awards Scheme. Scales of entry range from the largest civil engineering and transport projects, through prestige city office buildings, to smaller community and public buildings and sculptures. While there are fewer residential projects this year, we see an increase in office buildings of high quality and a welcome return of top-end industrial buildings.”
Commendations were awarded to eight projects:
- Two St. Peter's Square, Manchester
- The Greenwich Peninsula Low Carbon Energy Centre
- Four Pancras Square, London
- Brooklands Museum Aircraft Factory and Racetrack Revival
- Belfast Waterfront Conference & Exhibition Centre
- Approach Viaduct South, Queensferry Crossing
- The Beacon of Light, Sunderland
- Somers Town Bridge, London
For further information, visit https://www.steelconstruction.org/
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The built environment can unlock opportunities for skills.
Additionality is a concept applied to activities and projects.
Some HPL cladding is very unlikely to adequately resist the spread of fire.
What a chartered architectural technologist does.
Building design and construction fees.
The world heritage list has evolved to embrace built, cultural and natural heritage.
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.