- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 18 Aug 2021
The Sourcing playbook, Government guidance on service delivery, including outsourcing, insourcing, mixed economy sourcing and contracting, published in May 2021 is the third annual update of the Outsourcing Playbook.
The original Outsourcing playbook was published in February 2019 to improve the way the Government works with private companies and the third sector following the collapse of Carillion in 2018. A second update was published in June 2020.
The Sourcing playbook emphasises that the delivery of public services is a collaborative endeavour involving colleagues from commercial, finance, project delivery, policy and other professions. It captures best practices from across the Government within 11 key policy areas that all central departments are expected to follow:
- Publication of commercial pipelines.
- Market health and capability assessments.
- Project Validation Review (PVR).
- Delivery model assessments (previously known as ‘make versus buy assessments’).
- Should Cost Modelling.
- Requirement for pilots.
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Risk allocation.
- Pricing and payment mechanisms.
- Assessing the economic and financial standing of suppliers.
- Resolution planning.
The Consultancy playbook, Government guidance on how to commission and engage with consultants more effectively, achieving better outcomes, better value for money and improved civil service capability through the transfer of knowledge and skills, was published at the same time as the Sourcing playbook. It provides guidance on how central departments can maximise value for money when sourcing consultancy services.
- Should Cost Modelling guidance note.
- Delivery model assessment guidance note.
- Bid evaluation guidance note.
- Assessing and monitoring the economic and financial standing of suppliers guidance note.
- Benefits measurement guidance note.
- Market management guidance note.
- Approvals process guidance note.
- Testing and piloting services guidance note.
- Risk allocation and pricing approaches guidance note.
- Competitive dialogue and competitive procedure with negotiation guidance note.
- Resolution planning guidance note.
- Financial viability risk assessment tool.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Business process outsourcing (BPO).
- Complex outsourcing.
- Consultancy playbook.
- Critical service contracts.
- Expected market cost.
- Funding options.
- Government procurement post-Carillion.
- Mixed economy.
- Model Services Contract MSC.
- Onerous contract.
- Outsourcing playbook.
- Public procurement.
- Public sector dependent suppliers.
- Sourcing in the construction industry.
- Spark framework RM6094.
- The Construction Playbook.
Featured articles and news
Actuate UK issues stark warning.
Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities replaces MHCLG.
Protecting heritage from disasters. Book review.
Three structures forever changed people's lives for the better.
ECA comments on findings of BEIS Green Jobs Task Force.
Why government can't support public transport forever.
Government introduces the Information Management Mandate.
Designing and building for the future.
Fabricating mystical connections between nature and architecture.
IHBC issues responses to ECO4 and PAS 2035.