- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 09 Mar 2021
Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements
Modern Methods of Construction, Introducing the MMC definition framework, published by Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) in 2019 defines 7 categories for MMC:
- Category 1 – Pre-manufacturing (3D primary structural systems).
- Category 2 – Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems).
- Category 3 – Pre-manufacturing components (non-systemised primary structure).
- Category 4 – Additive manufacturing (structural and non-structural)
- Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies).
- Category 6 – Traditional building product led site labour reduction / productivity improvements.
- Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements.
In relation to Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements, it suggests that:
‘This category is intended to encompass approaches utilising innovative site based construction techniques that harness site process improvements falling outside the five main pre-manufacturing categories 1-5 or materials innovation in Category 6. This category would also include factory standard workface encapsulation measures, lean construction techniques, physical and digital worker augmentation, workface robotics, exoskeletons and other wearables, drones, verification tools and adoption of new technology led plant and machinery.’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British post-war mass housing.
- Design for deconstruction.
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA).
- MMC definition framework.
- Modern methods of construction.
- Off site, on track.
- Off-site construction.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Pre-manufactured value
Featured articles and news
Helping communities preserve and enhance historic environments.
Creating comfortable climates despite extreme temperatures.
Study examines how adjustable arrangements can succeed.
Government announces plans to improve accessibility.
Resource addresses pandemic-related NEC4 contract issues.
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.