- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Mar 2020
Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements
Modern Methods of Construction, Introducing the MMC definition framework, published by Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) in 2019 defines 7 categories for MMC:
- Category 1 – Pre-manufacturing (3D primary structural systems).
- Category 2 – Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems).
- Category 3 – Pre-manufacturing components (non-systemised primary structure).
- Category 4 – Additive manufacturing (structural and non-structural)
- Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies).
- Category 6 – Traditional building product led site labour reduction / productivity improvements.
- Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements.
In relation to Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements, it suggests that:
‘This category is intended to encompass approaches utilising innovative site based construction techniques that harness site process improvements falling outside the five main pre-manufacturing categories 1-5 or materials innovation in Category 6. This category would also include factory standard workface encapsulation measures, lean construction techniques, physical and digital worker augmentation, workface robotics, exoskeletons and other wearables, drones, verification tools and adoption of new technology led plant and machinery.’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British post-war mass housing.
- Design for deconstruction.
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA).
- MMC definition framework.
- Modern methods of construction.
- Off site, on track.
- Off-site construction.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Pre-manufactured value
Featured articles and news
How to write them and what they should include.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.
What type of cool roof is most suitable?
Active Travel programme prioritises cyclists and pedestrians.
CIAT issues caution for use of new standard.
Industry leaders discuss climate change, the economy and other influences.