- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 07 Mar 2021
Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies)
Modern Methods of Construction, Introducing the MMC definition framework, published by Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) in 2019 defines 7 categories for MMC:
- Category 1 – Pre-manufacturing (3D primary structural systems).
- Category 2 – Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems).
- Category 3 – Pre-manufacturing components (non-systemised primary structure).
- Category 4 – Additive manufacturing (structural and non-structural)
- Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies).
- Category 6 – Traditional building product led site labour reduction / productivity improvements.
- Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements.
Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies) is defined as:
‘A series of different pre-manufacturing approaches that includes unitised non-structural walling systems, roofing finish cassettes or assemblies (where not part of a wider structural building system), non-load bearing mini-volumetric units (sometimes referred to as ‘pods’) used for the highly serviced and more repeatable areas such as kitchens and bathrooms, utility cupboards, risers, plant rooms as well as pre-formed wiring looms, mechanical engineering composites would fall into this category.
‘Conventional masonry site constructed schemes utilising conventional building products such as windows and or door-sets – which might otherwise be part of the fabrication process in the other pre-manufacturing categories – should not be included as sub-assemblies or components in this category unless there is a further level of consolidation from traditional configurations. Also excludes and structural base elements that composite assemblies are fixed to and which are to be included in Cats 1-4. Any structure in this category is purely to support the sub-assembly in transit / install phase.’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British post-war mass housing.
- Design for deconstruction.
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA).
- MMC definition framework.
- Modern methods of construction.
- Off site, on track.
- Off-site construction.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Pre-manufactured value
Featured articles and news
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.