- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 07 Mar 2021
Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies)
Modern Methods of Construction, Introducing the MMC definition framework, published by Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) in 2019 defines 7 categories for MMC:
- Category 1 – Pre-manufacturing (3D primary structural systems).
- Category 2 – Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems).
- Category 3 – Pre-manufacturing components (non-systemised primary structure).
- Category 4 – Additive manufacturing (structural and non-structural)
- Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies).
- Category 6 – Traditional building product led site labour reduction / productivity improvements.
- Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements.
Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies) is defined as:
‘A series of different pre-manufacturing approaches that includes unitised non-structural walling systems, roofing finish cassettes or assemblies (where not part of a wider structural building system), non-load bearing mini-volumetric units (sometimes referred to as ‘pods’) used for the highly serviced and more repeatable areas such as kitchens and bathrooms, utility cupboards, risers, plant rooms as well as pre-formed wiring looms, mechanical engineering composites would fall into this category.
‘Conventional masonry site constructed schemes utilising conventional building products such as windows and or door-sets – which might otherwise be part of the fabrication process in the other pre-manufacturing categories – should not be included as sub-assemblies or components in this category unless there is a further level of consolidation from traditional configurations. Also excludes and structural base elements that composite assemblies are fixed to and which are to be included in Cats 1-4. Any structure in this category is purely to support the sub-assembly in transit / install phase.’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British post-war mass housing.
- Design for deconstruction.
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA).
- MMC definition framework.
- Modern methods of construction.
- Off site, on track.
- Off-site construction.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Pre-manufactured value
Featured articles and news
EV power: now you see them, now you don't!
Organisation addresses fire safety culture change and competence.
Using mathematics and psychology to make unbiased, complex decisions.
High levels of mica and pyrite found in aggregate used for Irish homes.
Organisation offers mobile app to its members.
BSRIA explores US share of 2020 VRF market.
New fire safety requirement comes into force.
Different types of bridges are meant to move.
A logical approach to handling the internal voice of self doubt.
First fashionable in the US, decorative metal has become globally desirable.
Helping communities preserve and enhance historic environments.
Creating comfortable climates despite extreme temperatures.