- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Mar 2020
Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems)
Modern Methods of Construction, Introducing the MMC definition framework, published by Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) in 2019 defines 7 categories for MMC:
- Category 1 – Pre-manufacturing (3D primary structural systems).
- Category 2 – Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems).
- Category 3 – Pre-manufacturing components (non-systemised primary structure).
- Category 4 – Additive manufacturing (structural and non-structural)
- Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies).
- Category 6 – Traditional building product led site labour reduction / productivity improvements.
- Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements.
Category 2 – Pre-Manufacturing (2D primary structural systems) is defined as:
‘A systematised approach using flat panel units for basic floor, wall and roof structures of varying materials which are produced in a factory environment and assembled at the final workface to produce a final three-dimensional structure. The most common approach is to use open panels or frames, which consist of a skeletal structure only, with services, insulation, external cladding and internal finishing being installed on site.
‘More complex panels – typically referred to as closed panels – involve more factory-based fabrication and include lining materials and insulation. These may also include services, windows, doors, internal wall finishes and external claddings. The system includes structural performance for primary walls and all floors (note – this excludes unitised or composite external walling systems that are not load bearing included in Category 5).’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British post-war mass housing.
- Design for deconstruction.
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA).
- MMC definition framework.
- Modern methods of construction.
- Off site, on track.
- Off-site construction.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Pre-manufactured value
Featured articles and news
A simple path to possible error avoidance.
Construction + technology = ConTech.
New low and high tech tools enter the marketplace.
Report looks at mental health in the built environment.
Radiant wall heating method to control rising damp.
What future infrastructure provision might look like.
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.