- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 25 Feb 2021
Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems)
Modern Methods of Construction, Introducing the MMC definition framework, published by Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) in 2019 defines 7 categories for MMC:
- Category 1 – Pre-manufacturing (3D primary structural systems).
- Category 2 – Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems).
- Category 3 – Pre-manufacturing components (non-systemised primary structure).
- Category 4 – Additive manufacturing (structural and non-structural)
- Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies).
- Category 6 – Traditional building product led site labour reduction / productivity improvements.
- Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements.
Category 2 – Pre-Manufacturing (2D primary structural systems) is defined as:
‘A systematised approach using flat panel units for basic floor, wall and roof structures of varying materials which are produced in a factory environment and assembled at the final workface to produce a final three-dimensional structure. The most common approach is to use open panels or frames, which consist of a skeletal structure only, with services, insulation, external cladding and internal finishing being installed on site.
‘More complex panels – typically referred to as closed panels – involve more factory-based fabrication and include lining materials and insulation. These may also include services, windows, doors, internal wall finishes and external claddings. The system includes structural performance for primary walls and all floors (note – this excludes unitised or composite external walling systems that are not load bearing included in Category 5).’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British post-war mass housing.
- Design for deconstruction.
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA).
- MMC definition framework.
- Modern methods of construction.
- Off site, on track.
- Off-site construction.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Pre-manufactured value
Featured articles and news
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Why building acoustic considerations must be non-negotiable.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC
Designing Buildings is 10 years old.
From alteration to deconstruction on DB.
Understanding temperature in buildings on DB.
A call for home energy management to be modernised.
How many different types can you think of ?
Looking back and fourth to what still needs to be done.
Pioneering Indian environmental design Architect.
The greenest building is the one already built.
History of Temple Meads rewritten.
Currently standing at just 1%.
Find out more with BSRIA.
Changes come into force for F,L,O and S.