- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Mar 2020
MMC definition framework
Modern Methods of Construction, Introducing the MMC definition framework, published by Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) in 2019 defines 7 categories for MMC:
- Category 1 – Pre-manufacturing (3D primary structural systems).
- Category 2 – Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems).
- Category 3 – Pre-manufacturing components (non-systemised primary structure).
- Category 4 – Additive manufacturing (structural and non-structural)
- Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies).
- Category 6 – Traditional building product led site labour reduction / productivity improvements.
- Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements.
This framework was established by a specialist sub-group a cross industry working group led by Mark Farmer of Cast Consultancy, the chair of the wider MMC working group, supported by representatives of Buildoffsite, Homes England, National Home Building Council (NHBC) and Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
It is intended to regularise and refine the term ‘MMC’ by defining the broad spectrum of innovative construction techniques being applied. It also offers the opportunity to create more structured datasets capturing the use of MMC and its performance.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Civil engineers can lead the way.
Cutting-edge tech pairs with building management systems.
BSRIA updates its assessment of the industry.
What happens when it all goes wrong?
Input being gathered by CIOB.
Changes proposed for MHCLG consultation on house building statistics.
Full of passion and acerbic wit. 1 min book review.
Reminding us what is possible.
Five signs you are at risk.
Biotechnology as it applies to the built environment.
Stopping sound coming through windows.
Government response to the Building a Safer Future consultation.
Energy savings quickly payback any small additional capital investment.