- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Mar 2020
MMC definition framework
Modern Methods of Construction, Introducing the MMC definition framework, published by Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) in 2019 defines 7 categories for MMC:
- Category 1 – Pre-manufacturing (3D primary structural systems).
- Category 2 – Pre-manufacturing (2D primary structural systems).
- Category 3 – Pre-manufacturing components (non-systemised primary structure).
- Category 4 – Additive manufacturing (structural and non-structural)
- Category 5 – Pre-manufacturing (non structural assemblies and sub-assemblies).
- Category 6 – Traditional building product led site labour reduction / productivity improvements.
- Category 7 – Site process led site labour reduction / productivity / assurance improvements.
This framework was established by a specialist sub-group a cross industry working group led by Mark Farmer of Cast Consultancy, the chair of the wider MMC working group, supported by representatives of Buildoffsite, Homes England, National Home Building Council (NHBC) and Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
It is intended to regularise and refine the term ‘MMC’ by defining the broad spectrum of innovative construction techniques being applied. It also offers the opportunity to create more structured datasets capturing the use of MMC and its performance.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.
How Paul Williams bent over backwards to overcome racial barriers.
Organisation revises actions around dealing with COVID-19.
CIOB, NFCC, RIBA, RICS call for changes ahead of Building Safety Bill.
Developments in the Future Homes Standard.
An American chimney feature with a colourful past.