- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 May 2020
Site layout planning for daylight IP 23 12
Daylight makes an interior look more attractive and interesting, as well as providing light to work or read by. However, access to natural light depends on the design of the external environment. Large obstructing buildings may make adequate interior daylighting impossible
This 6-page Information Paper outlines revised BRE guidance on site layout planning to achieve good daylighting, both within buildings and in the open spaces between them. It deals with daylight within new developments and in existing buildings nearby. It addresses the provision of daylight in dense urban areas and summarises some of the guidance on diffuse daylighting (ie light from the sky rather than direct from the sun).
Its contents are:
- Daylight within a new development.
- Existing buildings.
- Trees and hedges.
It is available at: https://www.brebookshop.com/details.jsp?id=327076
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 7 ways better lighting can improve your health.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading.
- Building Research Establishment.
- EN 17037 Daylight in buildings.
- Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting.
- Light obstruction notice.
- Light pollution.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Natural light.
- Passive building design.
- Right to light.
- Site layout planning for daylight and sunlight.
- Solar gain in buildings.
- Use of lighting to improve health and wellbeing.
Featured articles and news
The importance of emergency planning.
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.