- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 25 Dec 2020
Self-build home: Confirm appointment of the supplier to fabricate and install the kit house
- Providing appropriate services to the site (water, electricity, gas, telephone, drainage and so on).
- Providing a foundation slab.
- Fitting out the interior.
- Landscaping the site and providing access to the house (this might include; paths, drives, ramps, steps and so on).
Some of these works will be required before the kit house can be installed. Any works that remain outside the main contract will have to be carefully co-ordinated to ensure the programme is properly synchronised and there are no delays. See Appoint a range of contractors and suppliers to construct the home for more information about organising separate trade contractors and suppliers.
- Start and completion dates and key dates for works outside the contract.
- Stage payments.
- Professional indemnity insurance, public liability insurance and works insurance.
- Warranties. Both for the fabric of the building and any fixtures and fittings.
- Toolkits and operating and maintenance manuals.
- The fixtures and fittings included; such as lamps, blinds, white goods, cupboards, floor coverings, security systems and so on.
- Other specific inclusions and exclusions.
NB Self-build clients are ‘domestic clients’ for the purposes of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (health and safety regulations generally referred to as the 'CDM Regulations'), and so the client's duties under the regulations will fall to the contractor on a project where there is only one contractor or to the principal contractor on a project where there is more than one contractor. However self-build clients can attract health and safety duties under Part 4 of the Regulations if they control the way in which construction work is carried out. See CDM for self-builders and domestic clients for more information.
Featured articles and news
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC
Designing Buildings is 10 years old.
From alteration to deconstruction on DB.
Understanding temperature in buildings on DB.
A call for home energy management to be modernised.
How many different types can you think of ?
Looking back and fourth to what still needs to be done.
Pioneering Indian environmental design Architect.
The greenest building is the one already built.
History of Temple Meads rewritten.
Currently standing at just 1%.
Find out more with BSRIA.
Changes come into force for F,L,O and S.